Author Topic: These are great fun.  (Read 4431 times)

eb2

• View Profile
These are great fun.
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »
I haven't seen one in a while, and I love a fun ride like this.  When my powerballs come up I will find one, and maybe a matching Kingman acoustic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Fender-Coronado-II-Wildwood-II-Bass-Rare-Color_W0QQitemZ140357534408QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20adf602c8#ht_1835wt_1168
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: These are great fun.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
Added to my watch list.  I can't wait to see what happens to the bidding in the last 5 minutes.

Damn, those things are pretty!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:45:07 PM »
I'd guess it won't get anywhere near the BIN. It shouldn't.

I had my Coro bass. Won't do that again. YMMV.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
According to Dr. Bassman and other reports, the sound is nothing special at all.  But they are still mighty purty.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »
I bought one back in 1978.  It was my third bass after my Kingston and G-3.  I paid $218 with the original case.  It was a Wildwood II I believe.  Lots of feedback at loud volumes but sounded ok at normal volume.  It looked a lot nicer than it sounded.  My brother-in-law had a cherry red one and he could make it sound really nice.  Maybe he got a good one or maybe those didn't use beechwood bodies!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »
Mine wasn't a Wildwood. Sound was okay, nothing special, but it was a terrible neck diver and with the upper strap button location it rotated out and down if you let loose. I came to dislike the neck profile too, it was a U-shape.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 06:40:26 AM »
I had a brief encounter with a  cherry finish  some years ago and it was OK, but not my cup of tea. Cherry is the only finish I've ever seen. The wildwood is mighty pretty, but pretty or not, they're not for me.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
Mine was a sunburst.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »
There was a sunburst Coro II that came up recently on TB classifieds (pretty much the only thing I use TB for these days):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=593072&highlight=coronado

$800 seems like a friendly price (gone now).  I like the looks of them, but I've never had the opportunity to play on one.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:28:41 PM »
TB seller is a member here (Krishna a/k/a bostonguitarrepair). Haven't seen him here in a while.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »
I had bought my EB-0 from him- really good guy to deal with.  That in itself almost made that Coronado tempting... but I feared that in order to wield such a bass I might have to woodshed on my moves a bit first  ;D

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:37:22 AM »
crikey.
Louder bass!.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
Although the bass player is doing a pretty lousy job of finger-syncing, the bass sound on that number is quite good.  I'd be happy with it.  I wonder if the same instrument was used in making the actual recording?  Quien sabe......

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 09:01:18 AM »
If you want to hear a Coronado played live, look for Greenhornes stuff on YouTube to see Little Jack Lawrence playing his single pickup model. Like this.

I don't know why the single pickup version sounds better, but it does (to my ears, at least).

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »
Maybe it's like a Precision... anything else is wasted... the pup on that one is placed right for the instrument, I guess...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...