Author Topic: My '78 A neck is very thin.  (Read 1764 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My '78 A neck is very thin.
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »

I've posted this pic many times but I can always find an excuse to do it again.  :mrgreen:

I couldn't remember how much it weighed so after weighing it tonight (just under 10 1/2 pounds) I thought I'd measure the nut. I thought it was an A neck but it also feels very different to me from a Jazz neck from that era. Not as thick front to back. Anyway, I found that the width at the nut is 1 7/16". I know that's only 1/16 smaller than advertised, but it got me wondering whether other A necks of the era are the same. Anyone out there have any experience with this era A neck Ps?

copacetic

• View Profile
Re: My '78 A neck is very thin.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »
I've owned 2 Precisions with very thin necks (actually exactly the 1.5 as in Jazz) that were not designated with the 'A' at the base of the headstock and were the necks originally shipped with those basses. They both were all maple necks (early 70's). I always seek out thin necks as is my prference and happened to come by them years ago. When I checked up on them with Fender they did say they did make some necks up in the early 70's without the blocks mostly in the all maple but some with the rosewood and pearl that were put on Precisions randomly and did not have the A stamp so they are out there and most likely this continued until more tumutuous events with Fender in the late 70's and early 80's.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »
I have come across J necks that were actually 1 7/16" despite the nominal 1 1/2" in the specs. So it doesn't surprise me that an A neck Precision would be that size. But boy does that neck look skinny on a Precision body, probably because I'm just not used to it.

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »
Most of the A necked P basses I've run across have very thick necks front to back.  Same goes with the narrow neck option on the pre EB Music Man basses.  It would be nice to find a thin one like you have.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:50:03 PM »
When I bought the bass in 1986 I didn't know A from C from whatever. I just knew that when I played it in the shop it felt so comfortable I had to have it. The neck isn't as shallow/thin as the '62 Jazz replacement necks I love, but it's thinner than the black/pearl block Jazz necks I've played from that era. I love the look of those, but they always felt a little weird in my hand.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
My main player from 1977 to 1995 was a 68 P bass with a 66 J neck on it when I stupidly sold it. A necks are my favorites.