Author Topic: MIM Revelation  (Read 8857 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: MIM Revelation
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
It's blue if you say so! ;)

I really like most of the MIM stuff - a little bit of work and you have nice bass.

And, not an Aggie but I'm trying to convince my 19 year old daughter to transfer there - in Texas the Aggie ring is like a "get a good job fast token" - find one Aggie at a company and you'll find 99 more in the woodwork ;D

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »
The 'official' Fender color designation during those years was MIdnight Blue. They had a series of colors with the Midnight designation.
My friend has a MIM 1998 Jazz and in his particular bass the tuners &  pickups were USA made. He bought it new and from what he recalls they were using USA pups and tuners around then. He opened his up and sure enough it was true. It could very well be that they were using both because of parts stock overages and shortages.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »
I picked up the LPB P yesterday!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 04:20:13 AM »
I have a sixties RI MIM Jazz in sparkle lipstick lilac with matching headstock and it sounds and plays great. Only quibbles: controls feel wobbly (but do their job without complaints) and I hate having to unscrew the body to access the truss rod for adjustment.   
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 05:52:49 AM »
Uwe, when I saw that you replied in this thread I was afraid that you would have been angry at me for buying a Fender. But no:)  BTW: My love for LPB came back after playing your nonrev again. That's not exactly LPB, but I love it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »
I don't even know what LPB stands for! Probably not Les Paul Bass?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 06:59:54 AM »
Lake Placid Blue, which eventually turns greenish (must be the algae in the lake).

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
Lake Placid Blue, which eventually turns greenish (must be the algae in the lake).

Blue is a VERY dangerous color.  I once bought an 85 Chevy pickup off a used car lot in Waco primarily because it was a gorgeous blue.  I have no other excuse.  To get it out of town required an alternator and battery; to get it home also required a fuel pump that I changed by the side of the road in 100-degree Texas heat.

You ain't lived until you've pearl-dived into the engine compartment of a Chevy pickup to change the fuel pump on a hot Chevy small-block V8!

I like Lake Placid Blue.

"DANGER, Will Robinson!!!!!!!!!!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 09:04:26 AM »

Don't react to Uwe. Of course he knows!!;) But I love the algae joke:D
Mine has a poly finish, so I guess it will be as blue as it is forever.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »
I did not know, seriously. I thought the LPB had the PB referring to "P Bass" and was wondering what the L could mean ... Lame?  :-*

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
Don't react to Uwe. Of course he knows!!;) But I love the algae joke:D
Mine has a poly finish, so I guess it will be as blue as it is forever.

We have to react to him, he needs to be able to live up to the title I gave him. You don't want to frustrate his ambitions.

I don't know if the poly will change color or not, it may have more to do with UV resistance of the color coat.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »
I think it's mostly the clear coat which yellows. On my EB3 is some nice cherry underneath a darker coating. But the coloured finish underneath will darken too. But think Gibson: Blue lacquer with yellow clear coating = Green.

At this shop they also had a nice CS Fender Strat with a greenish guard and a yellowed LPB.

@ Uwe: Okay, some Fender things: LPB = Lake Placid Blue. Think your nonrev and think Steve Harris. CAR = Candy Apple Red. Think Duck Dunn.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
As a mainly Gibson player of course I bully Fender players. So thanks for the Lame P Bass, Uwe!  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
I think it's mostly the clear coat which yellows. On my EB3 is some nice cherry underneath a darker coating. But the coloured finish underneath will darken too. But think Gibson: Blue lacquer with yellow clear coating = Green.

You may very well be right about it being the clear coat. Either way, I believe the problem has to do with UV resistance, and AFAIK that's at least partially independent of whether the finish is nitro or poly.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
Solvent based poly will yellow pretty quick.  The newer water bourne finishes tend not yellow or will yellow more slowly.  Catalyzed finishes are a different beast as well - they tend to be less prone to yellow and are also pretty bullet proof.