Author Topic: MIM Revelation  (Read 8855 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
MIM Revelation
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
Recently I had been asked to gather up some basses for some music programs so I went  around to various music stores in the SF Bay Area. Approaching this task I decided to approach the quest with a very open 'mind' with respect to brand. When playing through the Fender selections I just went down the line and found something that surprised me quite frankly. The MIM Fenders came out on top 80% of the time when coming to feel, playbility, balance, weight and dead spots. Even the sound in most cases was totally acceptable. I simply picked the basses up, plugged them in without checking out the various hardware, pickups, headstock decals etc so to keep with my open approach. I had a budget that was not too restrictive to work with but I wanted to just see what would come out in the wash. The result was surprising to me because of course I had preconceived notions that the Japan, USA, custom shop etc would be the overall better instruments. This was not necessarily so at all. It has been years since I really went in a music store and checked out a bunch of basses. I have quite a collection of basses that I have played and kept over the last 45 years and with respect to the Fenders in my collection consisting of a '56, '71 & '73 Precision and a '66 & '71 Jazz, '67 & 78 Mustang and these are all great playing & sounding basses. So I felt I had to mention my surprise and relief that Fender is still capable of making some great instruments and these at  prices that will not break the bank. The only upgrade I might suggest would be the pickups if absolutly necessary.
I also recently attended a club date to see Sly & Robbie. When their 1 1/2 hour stunning set(as usual) was over I got talking to Robbie and  upon broaching the subject of the jazz bass he had been playing he handed it over to me and it was MIM Standard Jazz bass! He mentioned it it was his current favorite bass and not just for touring. He had been using it in the studio as well. For anyone who knows this guy you know what he is capable of on the instrument.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: MIM Revelation
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
As with a lot of us here I have a humble collection of basses and I find similar ironies. My current 2nd in line "go to" gigging bass is a Korean Dean Edge 4 (bolt on neck) that I bought second hand for the equivalent of US$128. Add a brand new pair of EMG Soapbars that I paid US$115 for and I have an amazingly comfortable playable great sounding bass. Makes me much happier to know I can take this bass to places that I would prefer the others never saw.
Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:14:01 AM »
On the old Dudepit and on a Dutch forum a lot of guys bought the '50s P. I have one, I love it and it's better than the MIA Jazz I once had.

I want a rosewood board P once and now I'm thinking about a LPB MIM Standard.

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »
A few years back I had a MIM Precision and it was probably the best P I'd ever played. I did end up modifying it but not because it needed it, just because the thing was so cheap it made a viable platform for the mods I had in mind at the time. Stock - it was just fine as it was. The MIM basses I've played recently are just as good.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
One of the best playing and sounding Jazz basses I ever played was a beat to hell MIM with punk rock stickers all over it. I never dismissed the MIM sticker after that. I have to admit I don't like seeing the truss rod adjustment screw at the headstock end, but that certainly has nothing to do with quality in sound or playability! If I'm ever in the market I'll just have to look at the vintage styles coming from south of the border...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »
There are many good, solid instruments out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

My J is an MIM and it sounds great.  It's just a bit on the heavy side at 9 pounds, but manageable.  Its E string has so much sustain it sounds like the bass pedal on an organ.

And on another forum, a number of guys (Including me) bought the Turser JTB-401 clones of '54 Precisions - great basses for under $200 brand new!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
I had a 2002 MIM P. The tone from the stock pickups was fine although not what you would call vintage sounding. I was not impressed with the stock bridge, it looks like a typical Fender bridge but it was lighter and thinner, the saddles kept vibrating around and that affected the tone. I put a Gotoh 201 on and that solved the problem. Also, the large screws that hold the gears in place would loosen sometimes, for no apparent reason. I hope they've improved in the last 7 years.

The Classic MIM series models look nicer to me.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »
My 2 cents,

As much as some people may be put off by Fenders' faux "Road Worn (and put away wet)" series, we have a 50s' Precision and a 60s' Jazz that are about the best new Fender basses I've played in years. They both feel great, sound reasonably vintage and were both set up really well out of the box. The P-bass in particular is light and dosn't have any of that rubbery green wood feel that some of the Mexi-standards ( and virtually all of the Squiers ) have. The Am Standard and Deluxes just seem to be trying too hard to be "modern" and the Custon Shop stuff is just too pricey.
 We should be getting a few more in, I'll have to compare a few different examples (of the same model) to see if they are consistent. The guitar versions seem to be so far.

Scott
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
I agree withe Bass VI's comments on the American Standard and Delux but figure Fender has to try something there to be modern. The Custom Shop pricing is way beyond and somehow getting a bass that has been 'artificially' road worn is somehow strange to me, however it is probably best just to close your eyes and play and see from there how it feels and plays. I get the impression that Bass VI works in a music store and has some first hand experience on a daily basis with respect to taking the instruments out of their factory boxes. I just felt the MIM's were a simply honest bass and somehow reminded me of many years ago going into a music store and picking up a bass that just seemed stright forward and 'honest' and is what it is. I was putting these basses through a Little Mark Bass amp with a 4x10 cabinet(same as my home rig). The Mark Bass set ups are real contenders as well but I did go across the board as mentioned at the top of this thread. There was a custom Shop '64 that was great and reminded me of one of my own but still $2,400. was over the top in my opinion. Another thing I forgot to mention that most of the MIM's I tried had resonance which is what really surprised me. Maybe it is the wood/woods thay use, but I always factor how a bass resonates when unplugged. I kow when it comes to other materials that might not weigh in as much but I do have some an'80's PRS bass and 4 Celinders that have graphite necks and possibly a few other 'modern' materials running through them but they also really resonate unplugged and deliver all the way plugged in.   

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
I told my local store I was 'thinking' about buying a LPB rosewood board MIM P 'once'. The owner ordered it already cos he thought: 'Chris will buy it and it's good to have it in stock then.'

So now there's a LPB P calling my name and I don't have the money together...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 05:59:14 PM »
That Midnight Blue MIM Jazz of mine is a 2000 model, and a very nice bass.  I've never found it to be lacking in anything I need...and I rather enjoy the Midnight Blue color, as you don't see it all that often.

It MUST be blue, because if it were purple as my wife and kids keep whispering, then it would be colored like the much despised u of warshington (aka: dawgz), and it would be necessary to dispose of it for a bass of some other color.  Fender calls it Midnight Blue, so that's my story too.

It's BLUE, I tells ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »
That Midnight Blue MIM Jazz of mine is a 2000 model, and a very nice bass.  I've never found it to be lacking in anything I need...and I rather enjoy the Midnight Blue color, as you don't see it all that often.

It MUST be blue, because if it were purple as my wife and kids keep whispering, then it would be colored like the much despised u of warshington (aka: dawgz), and it would be necessary to dispose of it for a bass of some other color.  Fender calls it Midnight Blue, so that's my story too.

It's BLUE, I tells ya!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks purple to me  ;D

If you want me to I can pick up some nice maroon spray paint for you next time I'm in College Station :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 08:20:17 PM »
it must only look blue at midnight :mrgreen:
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »
Well, Lightyear, we can both agree it looks better than it would in orange!  Gig 'em! (Ph.D., TAMU-1997)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 09:05:22 PM »
Rest easy, it's not purple. Midnight Blue was one of the 2000 colors.