Author Topic: The price of fame  (Read 9509 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
The price of fame
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:58:16 PM »
I was in St. Paul this afternoon near Willie's American Guitars so I stopped in. On the wall in the bass area, they had a cherry '65 EB-2 in EX condition for $1895. Fair enough price. Then on a separate stand near the front, they had a walnut finish '68 EB-2 in VG+ to EX- condition, nylon saddle two-point bridge, and it was $2500. 

Reason? the '68 is on consignment from Sheryl Crow and has been used on tour and on at least one of her recordings.

No thanks. If I were in the market, I'd buy the '65, no question. If I bought hers, I'd have to have it disinfected on the off-chance it had been touched or played by Kid Rock.  :P

westen44

• View Profile
Re: The price of fame
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
I'd rather have a bass that has been less played.  A bass played by a celebrity is still a used bass.  I don't know if I could possibly have a more apathetic attitude about instruments played by famous people. 

Edit:

It doesn't mean I wouldn't ever ask for an autograph.  I would have definitely asked for Jack Bruce's autograph if given the opportunity.  But as for other stuff, I just don't much care about that. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:23:59 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 10:34:52 AM »
Hey, when a well-know musician has owned an instrument, the price usually goes up.

Some like the musician, some don't. Fair enough - market value still goes up.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »
I was in St. Paul this afternoon near Willie's American Guitars so I stopped in. On the wall in the bass area, they had a cherry '65 EB-2 in EX condition for $1895. Fair enough price. Then on a separate stand near the front, they had a walnut finish '68 EB-2 in VG+ to EX- condition, nylon saddle two-point bridge, and it was $2500. 

Reason? the '68 is on consignment from Sheryl Crow and has been used on tour and on at least one of her recordings.

No thanks. If I were in the market, I'd buy the '65, no question. If I bought hers, I'd have to have it disinfected on the off-chance it had been touched or played by Kid Rock.  :P

SEXIST!!  :)

Actually, I own a number of former celeb instruments. The reason is not because of who owned them. I could really care less. The real reason to buy celeb instruments is because the maker usually puts more care and attention to detail in its celeb builds, unless that brand blows doggie dick and the celeb is only doing it for cash.

Also, in many true made-for-celeb axes, there are features that mere mortals may never be able to order.

So, generally speaking, you should have a better and more unique instrument when you have a former celeb piece.

Sort of the same general reason for buying NAMM/trade show booth/exhibit builds.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
Hey, when a well-know musician has owned an instrument, the price usually goes up.

Some like the musician, some don't. Fair enough - market value still goes up.

I think one thing that has always bothered me the most about it is that famous musicians tend to put an instrument through more use than might be considered typical.  If it's one of their favorite instruments, it has been through a lot.  Some of these people are on the road almost the whole year.  I'd prefer a new musical instrument or one that has barely been played. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »
SEXIST!!  :)

Actually, I own a number of former celeb instruments. The reason is not because of who owned them. I could really care less. The real reason to buy celeb instruments is because the maker usually puts more care and attention to detail in its celeb builds, unless that brand blows doggie dick and the celeb is only doing it for cash.

Also, in many true made-for-celeb axes, there are features that mere mortals may never be able to order.

So, generally speaking, you should have a better and more unique instrument when you have a former celeb piece.

Sort of the same general reason for buying NAMM/trade show booth/exhibit builds.

I'm sexist because I hate Kid Rock?  ;D  If I wanted to hear yowling and howling, I'd rather listen to neighborhood cats than to him.

You're probably right about made-for-celeb axes. Sheryl's EB-2 was straight stock though. Same with the Epi Embassy she had consigned there. Good condition but not worth more to me.

OTOH there are a handful of performers whose guitar or bass would mean something more to me.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
I could possibly imagine you coveting a Martin that may have been used by Hank Williams... I'd certainly be honoured to own such a beastie...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
Nate must have the market cornered on used Sheryl Crow gear...............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »
I could possibly imagine you coveting a Martin that may have been used by Hank Williams... I'd certainly be honoured to own such a beastie...

Few would fall into that category, though, of being legendary artists who were larger than life.  He just happens to be one of a small number, IMO.   

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
Nate must have the market cornered on used Sheryl Crow gear...............

If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:32:37 PM »
Michael...! :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
 :mrgreen:

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:02:32 PM »
Michael...! :mrgreen:

Sheryl don't bring him anything but down.  ;)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:29 AM »
Sheryl don't bring him anything but down.  ;)

She might be my favorite mistake. 

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
  I really don't see Sheryl Crow once having owned/played it adding any value. Names llike Bruce, Entwistle, Jaco sure. My Hiwatt DR201 belonged to Dave Hill I don't think that adds to the value one dime.......................might even hurt it's value.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird