Author Topic: Bass combo amps  (Read 8589 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Bass combo amps
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
We have a Mark, she plays bass, cross-dresses, what's the problem...? ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
I tried their (Markbass) SD800 and also their 210 combo and took both back to GC.  Just could not get the sound I wanted out of them.  I also did not like the GK MB210.  The MB115 works better for some reason.  Never tried the MB212.  I just use it as a stage monitor too.  Be aware that the DI is not padded and it is line out and not direct out so the sound guy will hear when you turn it up.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
I thought it was me with the Markbass.  No way I could get anything acceptable out of one, not to mention the way they look.

Thanks, Anthony, for explaining why I do not want to replace my SVP with a Class D power amp I can afford.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 07:32:02 AM »
I also did not like the GK MB210.  The MB115 works better for some reason.  Never tried the MB212.  I just use it as a stage monitor too.  Be aware that the DI is not padded and it is line out and not direct out so the sound guy will hear when you turn it up.

The thing I like about the 210 is you can run an extension cab. I may very well buy the lightweight 1x15 they offer. Thanks for the heads up on the DI. Not a problem though. I run off a DI on my pedal board.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
OK, spent some time at GC this afternoon.

Tried the GK.... It just didn't do it for me. Tone shaping was just not happening, and it farted out when I pushed some lows around B-C# on the E string.

Plugged in to a MarkBass 210 of some sort. Eh... It couldn't really take the abuse either, and I didn't even hit it too hard.

Then I saw a little Ampeg Micro VR mini stack. I tried it and was surprised at how good it sounded. The tone controls are limited, and it's only 150 watts, but damn... it actually SOUNDS like an Ampeg.

Finally, the sales guy insisted I check out an Acoustic B200 combo - 200 watts through a 15. No Class D stuff here. I think this is the one, especially at $350 brand new! It's heavy - around 70 pounds, but I can deal with that. Lighter than a Redhead, and blows away the GK that I really wanted to like. Probably going back tomorrow to pick it up.  ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
Sounds like happy-camper time

Good luck Tom...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
I had an acoustic B200 head with a 410 and 115 cabinet that I bought 2 years ago and used it for several outdoor Texas summer gigs with no problems.  Well, it was so hot at one gig that one of the metal caps came unglued from the knob.  Probably should have gotten the combo amp for portability but I got a great deal by buying the set all together.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 04:58:21 AM »
Yeah, the GK B210 was a real disappointment to me too, and like I said before , I've been a pretty big GK fan.  That GK just didn't do it for me in any category :sad: I walked away feeling like it should have said Silvertone or Airline on the nameplate instead of GK . That Acoustic is a nice sounding amp, they are strong , full sounding and lots of meaty bottom end ;D. The Markbass 210 sounded pretty good to me, but I think anything would have sounded good compared to the GK. The price tag on the Markbass was a bit too tall for what it was . I'm gonna have to find a Genz Benz to put through the paces.
Rick

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
Bought the Acoustic today, gigged it tonight. Went great! Nice to see a conservatively rated amp. Very loud 200 watts. I had the master on about 2 (or "8:30"). The band (skeptical) loved it. Thinking of building a 2x10 extension cab...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:36 AM »
I haven't yet played one but the new pair of SS Ampegs are intriguing.  They have the modern textbook size amp with crazy power, and they will do an old school portaflex set up they have.  For looks, weight, and bang I really want these to be the deal.

I am just coming to terms with all this class D neo speaker stuff.  I don't like blasting, and 100w has always been a good club volume marker for me.  But if they can do that volume without killing my back, I am so happy.  More is better.  As a bassplayer I have always aspired to be a "one-trip" guy.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
Bob Glaub did the last Crosby Stills and Nash tour with a pair of Ampeg Micro VR/SVT 210AV stacks, played thru one with the other as a backup.  A mutual friend says he was really happy with them.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
I haven't yet played one but the new pair of SS Ampegs are intriguing.  They have the modern textbook size amp with crazy power, and they will do an old school portaflex set up they have.  For looks, weight, and bang I really want these to be the deal.

I am just coming to terms with all this class D neo speaker stuff.  I don't like blasting, and 100w has always been a good club volume marker for me.  But if they can do that volume without killing my back, I am so happy.  More is better.  As a bassplayer I have always aspired to be a "one-trip" guy.

I am actually planning on going to GC to check these out this weekend.  Mixed reactions so far.  LAst thing i read was that the 15" is lacking bottom because of the sealed cab.  I am thinking about getting the head with the 2 10's instaed and butting it on top of a nice thumpy ported cab....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
I've been using a Walkabout Scout and digging the tone. Used would be better - they're NOT cheap. The 15" version is more giggable. The 12" would probably need an extension cab in most situations and would defeat the purpose of buying a combo.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 08:32:12 AM »

Come on in...the water's fine!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 09:04:13 AM »
Hey Pilgrim,
Let's hear a little more about Genz Benz. Dammit , you've got me curious ;D
Rick