Author Topic: Lynyrd Skynyrd  (Read 3883 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
for some reason i was never a big fan.  Probably just the music i was "into" at the time they were "coming up".  Beck/Zep then Prog   followed by fusion.  I have been full circle for long time and can appreciate them much more now.  i may have to get some cd's and listen to stuff other than the 2-3 tunes i have played thru the years.

I do remember seeing them open for the Who also and thinking they were pretty good but i had limited my "Southern Rock" palatte to ABB at the time.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
there was a brief, ridiculous rumor that ronnie van sant was decapitated by a flying vcr machine inside the plane. :o

Dang, never heard that one!

Then there was the hero, Artimus Pyle, who helped get some of the people out of the plane, possibly saving the lives of several. He was rewarded with some child molestation scandals, which always sounded to me to be bogus. He's one of the few left, along with Ed King and Gary Rossington.

I only saw Skynyrd once, but it was in in 1987 when they toured for the first time after the plane crash. They were very good. It was very sad, though, to see Allen Collins in the wheelchair stressing the dangers of drinking and driving as part of his plea agreement following that girl's death in the car crash.

History has not been kind to that band, but their music has held up well.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
I was never a big Southern Rock fan, but Lynyrd Skynyrd set the bar pretty high.  They had all the pieces in there just right.  And I have to agree that Leon was a great bass player.  His lines were so distinctive, and not what you'd expect for that style of music.  In fact, if you can't learn Leon's lines right, don't even bother doing their songs, because in a lot of cases, it was the bass line that really made the song.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
I thought I'd post this as it has Leon with a Fenderbird... - they had been working with the Who - had JAE given him one...? - this is the commercially available recording from the BBC...

Robert - probably one of my faves too - don't forget Ed King on the original - they all took turns at a lead run... Ed played a lot of the sweeter slide work - you can certainly hear a Strat taking some of the lead work in it too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 08:12:47 PM »
The same irony applies to Ed King still being alive as does Keef Richards
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 07:05:50 AM »
Hard to think of Ed playing Incence and Peppermints...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 08:35:57 AM »
Personally I love Lynyrd Skynyrd. What a band!
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 12:28:38 PM »
"Steve Gaines was an Illinois kid"

Steve and Cassie were both born in Seneca Missouri and raised in Miami Okla. I jammed with Steve a couple of times in Joplin...73 ish. The first time Cassie was with him we were jamming at Tom's house and I fell in love. She thought of me like one would think of a mud puddle and I never saw her again.

He played at the Road house in Pittsburg and one time I know of at the Ranch in Galena in the early 70's before joining Skynyrd in 75. I believe he was guesting with the bands at the time. He was kind of a local hero as was Johnnie Moss, Bill Harris and Tom Cutmell.

I got married and stopped playing later that year..75 ish and never touched a guitar until 2005.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:57:15 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 07:12:17 AM »
I read a book, about seven years ago, written by Ronnie Van Zant's security guard Gene Odom. It was a pretty good read, with a lot of first hand info from a guy that survived the plane crash.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IyLF1k2wPTIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=lynyrd+skynyrd+remembering&source=bl&ots=mhJsEFdhAK&sig=OVxiVUPSt17kDTVMVMKq1a5I38k&hl=en&ei=TT3ETIOnNpuBnAec8ay-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!