Author Topic: Band priority clash...  (Read 2199 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Band priority clash...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
What...? Ohh them... you mean my security... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 03:17:51 PM »
What...? Ohh them... you mean my security... ;D

Kenny's security detail....don't mess widdem!

"They bad...they furry...and they'll eat your nuts!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »
"semi pro". a guy with a gig and a day job. like most of us at one time or another. n'est-ce pas?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 06:22:58 PM »
This thread has some very thoughtful input into a situation that I reckon most of us have been in before one way or another.

I struggled with the change of approach when I went from playing for a living after 10 years to playing in bands that were weekend warriors and consisted of guys with day gigs (like I now had/have). Its a hard thing to do after that length of time. I literally had to sit down and write out what my priorities were previously and what they had become at this time. When I read it back it helped me accept that it was OK if the singer had to repeat the 1st verse lyrics during the 2nd verse because he ran out of time due to his kid having a toothache and taking him to the dentist the night before practice. Or that the guitarist was working a 2 hour drive away from his house for a 4 week period and that meant he had 80 hours out of his month sucked away with driving time. etc

To me a good band needs to have the right combination of chemistry and priorities before its even worth worrying about the quality of musicianship.

Sounds like it all worked out for the best Al.
Digresion our specialty!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 05:24:50 AM »
i've never played for a living. but i've been playing in bands for about 20 years. its always hard to manage your time. most of the people in my bands  including myself have other shit going on,be it work or school or other bands.i work an average of 60 hours a week,i'm in 3 bands. 2 that practice every week and gig about once a month.the 3rd is more of a once in a while thing. plus girlfriend stuff.sometimes its really hard.but its better than sitting at home watching tv.i've got bags under my eyes you could carry a t-bird in.if you really want to do it,you find the time. also my band A.T.U! is opening for the Misfits this halloween @ the "Fillmore"@ Irving plaza so were playing some pretty good gigs and recording etc.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »
Good luck with that one, Bryan...!

"semi pro". a guy with a gig and a day job. like most of us at one time or another. n'est-ce pas?

Mostly a lack of day-job at that time, and like most bands, usually more fun than money... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
practice every week and gig about once a month

I'm lucky, my band's the opposite.  We gig almost every week, and only practice once a month.  The only time we need to practice is if we're adding new songs to the list or have a fill-in sax player that needs to get up to speed.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Hornisse

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 04:05:42 PM »
We also only rehearse when we are learning new songs or breaking in a fill in vocalist when one of them can't make the gig.  We all pitch in for load in and load out and sometimes band members can't make it to the show until everything is set up.  I've had to do that a few times as I work most every Saturday.  Also pay is equal for everyone involved and is after all expenses. (trailer, equipment rentals, storage room fees, etc.)