Author Topic: Global warmin my *SS! Snow in Houston  (Read 2468 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Global warmin my *SS! Snow in Houston
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »
We have light snow falling here south of Houston right now, mixed with rain - nothing is sticking yet.  Funny thing is we had a couple of inches of snow this time last year as well and lets not forget that we had a white Christmas just a few years back.

The news media is collectively having kittens and I'm sure there'll be some news bimbo standing outside in parka doing a "live" segment :rolleyes:  If any of this sticks the auto/body shops in town will make out like bandits - everytime this happens there are thousands of banged up cars as people seem to think that they can still drive 80 mph over all of our bridges and overpasses - that ice up instantly if the temps stay below freezing for too long.

And now we have activist scientists that are doctoring their research to support the cause ???  Is is possible to strip a PHD from someone ;D  Maybe Algore should give back is Nobel prize ??? :rolleyes: 

I guess it's time to migrate south so as to avoid the encroaching ice sheet :rolleyes: :P

patman

• View Profile
Re: Global warmin my *SS! Snow in Houston
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »
As of last weekend, I had a rose bush still blooming in Cincinnati.

I kind of like it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »
Boston reported record high temperatures for this time of year.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
Snow predicted here for early this afternoon but at 38 right now it's a little too warm.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:01:36 AM »
Where are you at Dave? They're saying the same thing in the Detroit area but it's beautiful and sunny right now. November was nicer than September and October around here. I just took the insurance off my convertible two weeks ago and tucked it in for winter. I actually could have waited a little longer.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »
In Rocky Mountain National Park near me (elevation 7,500 to 14,200 feet) some of the cold weather plants are dying and being replaced with warmer weather plants.  Definitely change going on there.

In Fort Collins (5,000 feet) it was Zero this AM and may hit 30 today.  Around here it can be 50 one day and 30 the next.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »
too bad global warming has become such a hot political topic falling nicely along party lines down. i know that winters are not nearly as cold now as they were 30 even 20 years ago here in atlanta.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »
Careful what you say nofi :o. The minute you start talking about .....it changes :P.
Michigan winters were getting really mild for several years a decade or so ago. Everyone my age was wondering if all that snow we saw when we were kids just seemed  so big because we were so small then. Kinda thought it was my imagination ???. It wasn't. The last few years have been good ole' fashioned Michigan winters with lots of snow right up to my frozen Michigan ass.
Rick

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »
Maybe global shift is a better way of putting it.  I know that we're down to 2 seasons lately around here - Summer and Winter.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:37 AM »
Right now it's 38 by my thermometer - the weather service has it at 35 with a predicted low of 28 and we still have light flurries on and off.  Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 55.  That's Texas weather for you.

Pilgrim, we have friends in Woodland Park, not sure of their elevation but they are at a very high altitude, and they've had snow in July.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »

Our weather folks are talking alot about the "El Nino" winter this year, so it'll likely be dry and cold with little precip.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 11:18:44 AM »
THe weather experts said that an "El Nino" year would keep hurricanes out of the Gulf of Mexico this last season - thank God they were right.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
THe weather experts said that an "El Nino" year would keep hurricanes out of the Gulf of Mexico this last season - thank God they were right.

True, but they're also saying that the weather in Florida is going to be exceptionally stormy going into the winter and spring.

Hornisse

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
We got some flurry activity here in Southwest Austin, but nothing stuck.  Too warm at 37 degrees.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
I have taken pictures of my thermometer outside the kitchen window reading 40 below for the last several years, and I have no doubt I will do it again this year.  For our friends who adopted the other system, that is where they are the same. 

I have a friend who is an environmental scientist, and he has been moaning about the politicalization of the whole school of thought for years now.  It tends to get in the way of the lack of research and analysis.  Global warming is a theory that gets disproven and proven every week depending on where you are.  Roman structures in Britain typically had no chimney or fireplace, although they knew how to build them.  At that time the future UK was typically milder in winter than several centuries later.  Why did it change?  We have theories. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.