Author Topic: So, what have you been listening to lately?  (Read 240627 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: So, what have you been listening to lately?
« Reply #3570 on: September 22, 2023, 02:17:35 AM »
Bill McClintock made new mashup.

Aretha Sabbath (Randy, Jakey an Zakk are also chiming in)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: September 22, 2023, 05:27:28 AM »
Recent upload to the official Midnight Special channel.

That's Johnny's future wife Susan on stage. Randy Jo Hobbs on bass.

I'm sure there must be a Blackmore connection.

Your wish is my command, Dave:

“I knew that question (on Stevie Ray Vaughn) was coming. His death was very tragic, but I’m surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible. Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that’s what caught everybody’s attention. As a player, he didn’t do anything amazing.”

If Cozy was awed by the possibility of working with his hero – check out the similarities between the pair’s barnets! – he didn’t let it show, and upon entering the audition room, legend has it that he told Beck: “Get rid of all the others – I’m your new drummer!” Cozy duly joined the new-look Beck Group for two albums – 71’s ‘Rough And Ready’ and the following year’s ‘Jeff Beck Group’.

“Jeff Beck was god in those days,” said Cozy 1995. “Everywhere he played was sold out and I’ve never seen that kind of adulation since. After two albums with Jeff, I left and went to the States where I was either going to join Johnny Winter or Spirit.”

They actually jammed as a trio for a few days - with Rick Derringer on bass. Winter wanted Cozy Powell to join him, Cozy was up to it, but wanted Rick Derringer to stay on board playing bass - I guess he had a Beck, Bogert & Appice or West, Bruce & Laing setup in mind -, but Rick didn't see his future as a full-time bassist. Too bad, Winter, Powell & Derringer might have really gone somewhere as an arena act trio. I would regard Powell as anything but a laid-back Blues drummer (though he would later on play with Peter Green's Splinter Group), but 70ies Johnny Winter always had that very frantic energy which might have worked well with Powell's high energy drumming - with Derringer holding it all together on bass and doing these amazing unisono runs with Winter.

Cozy would later on meet Suzi Quatro in England and she played bass (and audibly also sang) on his first solo single.

Given that Dave remains both adamant and very vocal about how Suzi Q and Rick D are one and the same person, this lends further credibility to his theory.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 07:41:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: September 22, 2023, 05:46:55 AM »
Bill McClintock made new mashup.

Aretha Sabbath (Randy, Jakey an Zakk are also chiming in)

That's a nice one. Supernaut was always one of the more RnB songs of Sabbath and the mash-up reminds me of this performance here:

Gillan was at odds with much of Sabbath's older material, but he liked that particular song.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3573 on: September 22, 2023, 06:10:59 AM »
“I knew that question (on Stevie Ray Vaughn) was coming. His death was very tragic, but I’m surprised that everybody thinks he was such a brilliant player when there are people like Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Peter Green and Mick Taylor; Johnny Winter, who is one of the best blues players in the world, is also very underrated. His vibrato is incredible. Stevie Ray Vaughan was very intense. Maybe that’s what caught everybody’s attention. As a player, he didn’t do anything amazing.”

Aha, because the Wigged Minstrel said so, you think Stevie Ray Vaughan didn't do anything amazing  :o
My goodness, that buffoon is even more silly than I thought he was.
You have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see the genius of SRV. :popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: September 22, 2023, 06:19:28 AM »
Caaaaaaalm down. I prefer Winter's playing too (long before I knew that Ritchie had formed a positive opinion on him: one of my classmates in the 70ies was an absolute Winter nut and drowned me with tapes of him, he thought Winter better than anyone, Hendrix included, I knew his Captured Live!

forwards, backwards + sideways), Winter's playing was as raw and unfiltered (or even abrasive) as Rory Gallagher's. SRV sounded polished in comparison, but then he was a creature of the 80ies as are obviously you!

SRV was a capable guitarist with a nice tone, no doubt, it escapes me what was supposedly special about his songwriting. (Granted, Johnny Winter or Jeff Beck weren't great songwriters either.) The best songs he (SRV) played on were written by David Bowie and produced by Nile Rodgers.

There I said it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 07:54:12 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3575 on: September 22, 2023, 07:58:01 AM »

SRV was a capable guitarist with a nice tone, no doubt, it escapes me what was supposedly special about his songwriting.

Haha, we're talking about being an amazing guitarist here. Not amazing songwriter. Don't change the subject, you rascal! :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: September 22, 2023, 08:12:02 AM »
Ok, let's try again then:

SRV was a noteworthy guitarist, popular in the 80ies, who exploited the vast possibilities of the Blues scale to their fullest extent and left us much too soon.

Better? I tend to be good at obituaries. And truthful.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3577 on: September 22, 2023, 08:31:37 AM »
 :mrgreen:

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: September 22, 2023, 09:28:21 AM »
I'd say that just because they shared the same bassplayer SRV and Johnny Winter are'nt comparable beyond being primarily blues guitarists/singers. Winter had a more rough edge and different feel. SRV was more polished in sound and more ....let's say accurate. I prefer to listen to Johnny but both were amazing guitar players.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: September 22, 2023, 09:39:30 AM »
Amen. Two hours of Johnny Winter on slide (accuracy - what's that?) all over can start to grate.  :mrgreen:

Speaking of reliving the 80ies, this guy sounds incredibly fresh for a 74-year-old ...

Together with Dave, who sends me rare recordings of him, I'm the only unabashed Rick Springfield fan here! Dave is just a bit more shy about it though.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: September 22, 2023, 02:21:57 PM »
I discovered this band a few days ago.  It's an LA band.  They've been around a few years, but the singer readily admits they're still a struggling band.  But to me this is still better than the pop princess crap heard all over America. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: September 22, 2023, 03:07:02 PM »
I like their own song better than the Norman Greenbaum cover which though spirited (no pun intended) adds nothing new.

With the right hard rock/heavy metal label behind them and a tour as opening act for a more popular genre act like, say, Halestorm, they could probably go somewhere. If I was their A&R man, I'd say her hair dye will have to go - their music isn't edgy or pop enough for that. Doesn't fit. Hard Rock/Heavy Metal fans are inherently conservative and have expectations.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:23:16 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: September 22, 2023, 06:25:34 PM »

Together with Dave, who sends me rare recordings of him, I'm the only unabashed Rick Springfield fan here! Dave is just a bit more shy about it though.

I just sent you a rare Springfield CD -- Dusty Springfield sings Buffalo Springfield. Recorded in Homer Simpson's home town of Springfield.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: September 22, 2023, 06:27:47 PM »
Anyway, SRV brought Lonnie Mack to a younger audience, and IMHO that was a good thing.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 22, 2023, 07:32:37 PM »
I like their own song better than the Norman Greenbaum cover which though spirited (no pun intended) adds nothing new.

With the right hard rock/heavy metal label behind them and a tour as opening act for a more popular genre act like, say, Halestorm, they could probably go somewhere. If I was their A&R man, I'd say her hair dye will have to go - their music isn't edgy or pop enough for that. Doesn't fit. Hard Rock/Heavy Metal fans are inherently conservative and have expectations.

The band, like I said, is based in Los Angeles, but the singer is from Australia.  She has been here since 2014.  I don't know if that's long enough to fully absorb American culture or not.  But I once had a friend who was a nurse who told me that when a woman dyed her hair red like that many men instantly assumed she was a hooker.  People do tend to like to make snap judgments and generalize.  I like red hair, although I prefer the natural red you often see, for instance, in Ireland.  Still, a dyed red to me can also look good.  If I see a woman like that, though, I don't assume anything.  Certainly, I don't assume a woman is a hooker just because she has taken a bottle of dye and put it on her head.  As for the nurse, she stopped dyeing her hair red because of the comments she kept getting, especially from older male patients. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 07:52:59 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal