Author Topic: anyone want some LaBella James Jamerson flatwounds?  (Read 2068 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
anyone want some LaBella James Jamerson flatwounds?
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »
A year or so ago I picked up some LaBella James Jamerson flatwounds - for some reason I thought they might be low tension, but they are like bridge cables! It seemed like it was bowing the neck of my Telecaster bass, which has a neck like a baseball bat sawn in half!

It was so bad that I loosened the strings and just left it like that. Well, I'm finally going to have the bass refinished and souped up a bit, with separate outputs for the humbucker and a set of Alembic Activators that I recently scored, and so I put on a set of D'Addario Chromes so that it could get used to normal tension.

Soooo, if anyone wants the Jamersons, you are more than welcome to them! I might just want to be reimbursed for the shipping. They have barely been used at all. I just don't see myself ever putting them on another bass. If I put them on my 4001, I think the tailpiece would just bend like butter!

So let me know! They are long scale. Oh, and I accept PayPal.

ilan

• View Profile
Re: anyone want some LaBella James Jamerson flatwounds?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:50:26 PM »
If you put them on your 4001 and tune to pitch, the bass would fold in half.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

HornetAMX

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:52:10 PM »
I'll take them if they are still available.  I used to use the .047 through .110 round wound Deep Talking set on my old Noel Redding Jazz many years ago and loved those strings. 

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
HornetAMX, they are yours! I'm not sure if these are higher tension than regular LaBellas - I know they are tighter than the short scale LaBella flats I've been using, but that could be a function of scale more than construction.

Anyway, PM or email me your address and I'll try and get them out in the next couple of days.

hieronymous three at gmail dot com (without any space between hieronymous & three)

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »
I didn't read through the whole thread, but there's a discussion over at the FDP on the Jamerson strings. (Hope it's cool to link to it - let me know if not.)

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:12:13 PM »
I can't say "sold" since I'm not really selling them, so let's say "these strings are spoken for."

HornetAMX

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
Just wanted to thank Harry for the strings.  They arrived the other day and I installed them on my early 80's Schecter P bass.  A very nice feeling set of strings.  And he sent them at no cost!  I will have to offer something on the Outpost in return soon.  Maybe a NOS Schaller P bass pickup I've got.  Many thanks again Harry!