Author Topic: Chrysler in talks with....  (Read 5300 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Chrysler in talks with....
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:37:10 PM »
Fiat???  :o

Great. I can see it now--  a Hemi that won't start.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Re: Chrysler in talks with....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »
When I saw the headline I thought you we're going to say FMIC. (Just kidding)
Tony

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »
Actually, once you think about it, it could make sense. No word has been more misused than "synergy", but these two would at least share the front wheel drive ( a big issue in the ill-fated Daimler merger as Mercedes has a rear wheel drive culture) plus have little cannibalizing model lines. Fiat SUVs are as rare as Chrysler mini cars.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »
I think they could bring complementary strengths to each other - and Fiat has been wanting to re-enter the US market.  I like the idea!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
It would seem they want to make cars, which is probably more than you can say about GM these days.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:26 PM »
Fiat???  :o

Great. I can see it now--  a Hemi that won't start.

Nah, more like a Jeep Cherokee with a 1.3-litre JTD Turbo Diesel engine in it  :D
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:01:05 AM »

Nah, more like a Jeep Cherokee with a 1.3-litre JTD Turbo Diesel engine in it  :D

Don't laugh at this prospect. Back in the 70s there was a company pitching Chrysler their high performance diesel line. They had  turbo 4 and 6 cylinder models and I believe they also had a V8. I had the opportunity to drive the 4 cyl CJ and the 6 cyl Cherokee  several times and they were absolute screamers. They came off the line like my old Dodge Super Bee with about 425 hp. I was certain that Chrysler was destined to own the biggest of the big three title by 1980.
Their financial issues at the time , as well as several other factors , made them walk away from the deal. That also pretty much crushed the company that was producing the diesel engines. I'm not sure if they went belly up or if someone bought them, but they had a monster of a product and it just may have really changed Chryslers future way back then.

In any event , I wish them , GM  and Ford the best of luck. They all spent several years doing some serious screwing up, but I (a Detroit boy) believe their  products today can compete with the imports if the American public will give them a chance :).
Rick
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:47:06 AM by rahock »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
Don't laugh at this prospect. Back in the 70s there was a company pitching Chrysler their high performance diesel line. They had  turbo 4 and 6 cylinder models and I believe they also had a V8. I had the opportunity to drive the 4 cyl CJ and the 6 cyl Cherokee  several times and they were absolute screamers. They came off the line like my old Dodge Super Bee with about 425 hp. I was certain that Chrysler was destined to own the biggest of the big three title by 1980.
Their financial issues at the time , as well as several other factors , made them walk away from the deal. That also pretty much crushed the company that was producing the diesel engines. I'm not sure if they went belly up or if someone bought them, but they had a monster of a product and it just may have really changed Chryslers future way back then.

In any event , I wish them , GM  and Ford the best of luck. They all spent several years doing some serious screwing up, but I (a Detroit boy) believe their  products today can compete with the imports if the American public will give them a chance :).
Rick

With all due respect, I'm a little confused here. Chrysler did not acquire Jeep until 1987, when it purchased AMC for $2 billion. If you drove a pair of diesel Jeep prototypes in the 1970s, they would have been under the American Motors banner, not Chrysler.
With regard to Fiat, this isn't the first time Chrysler has partnered with a foreign manufacturer (Renault, Simca, Rootes-Hillman, Mitsubishi, and that awful Daimler thing). If this 35% deal enables Mother Mopar to build the stuff that's currently in the conceptual stages, I'm all for it. OTOH, Fiat hard starting was only the beginning - once it got going, a gem like the X1/9 would be plagued by rust, overheating, poor wet weather handling, and a propensity to not want to go in reverse. Let us not forget that the Fiat 128 was the basis for the Yugo as well.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »
The Jeeps that I drove were indeed AMC. The company that built the engines used Jeeps for their prototypes. I guess I should have explained that.
I believe the name of the company was Aaddvo (not sure about the spelling). They were also pitching their product real hard to Ford. In fact that's how I got to know them. I used to own a carwash and detail shop near Ford World Headquarters and we prepped their two jeeps for shows and demos to the auto companies probably a dozen times or more.
I got to know a couple of their engineers and sales people prettty well. Scuttlebut was, Chrysler was very interested but money was tight, Ford was a house divided with some people real hot and others real cold. GM was not even a target as they had their own diesel thing going already, and even though their prototypes were based on AMC vehicles, I don't recall any talk about AMC being interested either.
Great piece of machinery, but nobody bought it and the company disappeared.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
I'm so old I remember when Kaiser acquired Jeep from Willys.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
We have a guy  around me who drives around in an old Willy's pickup truck from the early 50"s.

You just do not see many old Willy's, Studebakers or AMC's driving around anymore, at least here.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
I saw an old  pickup truck (which we dont really have here, due to the popularity of and tradition of the Ute) yesterday that had Willys on the tailgate.   I just thought that the guy who owned it was named Willy! 

I'm joking about the last bit but I did see one and I reckon that was only about the 2nd Willys I've ever seen in my life.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
They were still called Willys Jeeps for a number of years after Kaiser bought them.

When I was growing up, there was hardly anything as uncool as a station wagon, and the most uncool wagon of all was the Willys Jeepster. If your parents owned one and you had to ride in it, you most likely wanted to slink out of sight. And yet the Jeepster was really the inspiration for the modern SUV. Go figure.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
I always thought the Jeepster was / is really cool!

And maybe if Chrysler and Fiat's deal works out, there will be better parts supply for the 1958 Fiat Roadster in my garage.  (Fiat ad...)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:30:09 PM »

You have one of those in your garage?   :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...