Author Topic: Bad news for the musical instrument industry  (Read 3572 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Bad news for the musical instrument industry
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 07:47:38 AM »
It's a rough ol' world at the mo', Billy, and it ain't getting better any time soon either...  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2020, 12:39:42 AM »
I think that we might see a resurgence with all the "social non-distancing" of late.

I'm expecting that fairly soon so my patterns of keeping distant from people and washing/sanitizing my hands so much they crack won't be changing. While I may be a healthy 31 y/o, my mom is right in the high risk area of 60+ in addition to breathing issues that already have her doctor suggesting she be on oxygen 24/7. She's lucky if her O2 levels reach 95% so yeah. She's been in lock down and I've become even more hyper aware of what I touch than before all this.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2020, 11:59:40 PM »
If the price was right, hopefully you can deal with the issues.

You don't know how right you are to say that.  I was told by Sweetwater that this was an ebony SG Standard demo with a chipped spot by the bridge and with scratches and scuff marks in various places on the bass.  That's why it was $300 off.  But for some reason they sent me a bass in perfect condition.  I was very glad to have made this purchase. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2020, 09:19:57 PM »
You don't know how right you are to say that.  I was told by Sweetwater that this was an ebony SG Standard demo with a chipped spot by the bridge and with scratches and scuff marks in various places on the bass.  That's why it was $300 off.  But for some reason they sent me a bass in perfect condition.  I was very glad to have made this purchase.

That's great. I wonder where that description came from.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 10:12:48 PM »
That's great. I wonder where that description came from.

It fit the description of a bass they really had.  My guess is that at the last minute they found something else wrong with it.  So that meant they had to send one without problems (the one I eventually got.)  They had another one with cracks on both sides of the neck coming from the nut.  I had already told them I didn't want that one.  So what they gave me must have been the only option.  Definitely a stroke of good luck for me. I'm a satisfied customer; that's for sure.  I didn't even deal with the guy I usually talk to, but with one of his assistants. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 05:54:34 AM »
I thought this was sort of odd.... I bought the MF Stupid Deal of the Day, instead of being shipped from their warehouse in Kansas, it was shipped from a Guitar Center in Appleton Wisconsin. I think it was a mistake because it was immediately changed to something else.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 06:43:26 AM »
Fender, et. al. seem to be doing quite well during all of this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/style/guitar-sales-fender-gibson.html

“I would never have predicted that we would be looking at having a record year,” said Andy Mooney, the chief executive of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, the Los Angeles-based guitar giant that has equipped Rock & Roll Hall of Famers since Buddy Holly strapped on a 1954 sunburst Fender Stratocaster back in the tail-fin 1950s.

“We’ve broken so many records,” Mr. Mooney said. “It will be the biggest year of sales volume in Fender history, record days of double-digit growth, e-commerce sales and beginner gear sales. I never would have thought we would be where we are today if you asked me back in March.”

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 07:44:13 AM »
Realtors are experiencing the same. And mortgage brokers are going double crazy with so many people refinancing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
People stay at home and finally learn guitar because they always wanted to and there is really nothing else to do - what's not to like?  :)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 03:34:10 PM »
Delighted to hear this, especially as it helps Gibson - the article posted indicates they have been smart enough to re-issue some good ones. Same for Fender - nice to see them get a boost.  And I hope it helps Guitar Center and mom & pop shops as well.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 07:01:24 PM »
Brick and mortar retailers? Yeah…no.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 07:41:31 PM »
People stay at home and finally learn guitar because they always wanted to and there is really nothing else to do - what's not to like?  :)

That's probably it.

Realtors are experiencing the same. And mortgage brokers are going double crazy with so many people refinancing.

Existing home sales are going nuts in some areas. My daughter-in-law in Ohio is having a record year. Here, anything in my neighborhood sells immediately for more than the listing price. Considering the economy, it seems crazy.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
Real estate is bats here in Colorado, too.  A neighbor went into care, his family waited a few months, then cleaned out the house and sold it "as is". Sold within hours for full asking price at $634,000. It's a mid-70's ranch with basement, probably 2400 sq. feet. Good condition but not updated significantly since new. The buyers will do a complete interior remodel, so they'll probably put another $150K into it.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 03:59:08 PM »
Buy land, God isn't making any more of it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
Buy land, God isn't making any more of it.

Unless you're China in the Spratly Islands....