Author Topic: Photobucket update  (Read 3517 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Photobucket update
« on: May 28, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
The "new" Photobucket was okay while it lasted but that's coming to an end June 1 if you have a free account. A couple of months ago I was notified that the free limit was 250 photos. I had 276 and had to delete the overage, but I was still only at a small fraction of the monthly bandwidth limit. Now that's changing to a mere 25mb per month, and if you go over, your photos will be blurred.

They have to have a viable business model but all the changes make me leery of paying them and having things change again. Plus it's slow as molasses. What are the odds that they'll be around a year from now?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Photobucket update
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »
As far as I'm concerned they have augured in. I reduced my photo count drastically but I won't login to their site again. Screw 'em. They've changed the rules often enough that I don't care what they do from this point on. 

I think perhaps I'll upload my images to a folder on my own website and access them from there.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »
That's the problem, too many changes in their terms. IIRC there have been two changes in ownership, but still, all the changes mean that you can't trust them.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »
It's a disappointment to me because I wrote a few threads intended as long-term reference in more than one forum, and those photos will go dark when they pull the plug.  Another reason only to trust resources that you control personally.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:19:47 AM »
It's a disappointment to me because I wrote a few threads intended as long-term reference in more than one forum, and those photos will go dark when they pull the plug.  Another reason only to trust resources that you control personally.

True.

I see that drbassman's pics in his Home made luthier/shop tools sticky thread are all watermarked now. There are so many of them, I bet they'll be blurred shortly after the first of each month starting tomorrow, unless his widow upgrades hosting. She may not even be aware.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »
It's a disappointment to me because I wrote a few threads intended as long-term reference in more than one forum, and those photos will go dark when they pull the plug.

Same here. But I just can't be bothered to move all of that stuff to another location. Shame on me, since some of it involves (non music related) unique projects that I worked on over the past 10-12 years but my spare time is extremely limited as it is... :sad:
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:01:57 AM »
Same here. But I just can't be bothered to move all of that stuff to another location. Shame on me, since some of it involves (non music related) unique projects that I worked on over the past 10-12 years but my spare time is extremely limited as it is... :sad:

Even if you have all your photos backed up on your hard drive and hosted elsewhere, you'd still have to know where you had each one linked in order to replace them.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 08:11:50 AM »
Even if you have all your photos backed up on your hard drive and hosted elsewhere, you'd still have to know where you had each one linked in order to replace them.

Yep. And that in itself would take literally days to figure out.

I'll have to take a look at some of those forum threads and see if the pics are still visible, because I was supposedly using 10 times the allowed bandwidth...

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »
Nothing lasts forever, but it will be intersting to see how things play out.

Now that prices seem more reasonable, I might consider paying the annual fee to maintain the archive, but I won't post anything new there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:58:03 PM by BeeTL »

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
Nothing lasts forever, but it will be intersting to see how things play out

Well, in case of the forum where most of my PB stuff is linked to, I found a strange discrepancy: some of the images are left untouched, while the others were converted into links and I know for a fact that this hasn't been done by forum's administration... ???

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 10:57:26 PM »
Can you guys see my photos starting from page 1 here?

https://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=44478

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 11:41:56 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
My guess is that users will bail in massive numbers if they don't maintain access to photos which are below the data limit. That bailout would doubtless lead to another new owner.

I already spent an afternoon downloading photos to make sure I have all of them. Their download mechanism is primitive and a huge pain in the ass. Every minute that I spent doing that stupid and inconvenient process, I got more pissed at them.

They can kiss my ass now. There is no way I'd ever pay them for storage, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

They can kiss my ass now. There is no way I'd ever pay them for storage, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

You're not.

+ 1 right here.