Author Topic: New for 2021  (Read 12404 times)

D.M.N.

• View Profile
Re: New for 2021
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
They had the chance to surpass the BaCHbird.
But they missed that chance  :mrgreen:

Ugh, I don't suppose you have any IIs left hiding under a bed or something you'd send on over stateside?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2021, 01:53:50 PM »
I'm afraid not.
They're all gone.

Now and then one pops up on Marktplaats (marketplace or similar).
But they always sell quickly. If you ever see one, don't wait too long... ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2021, 02:19:12 PM »
So what's under that chrome? TB+?  or some other domestic version of the original Thunderbird pickup? I'm guessing they wouldn't use the Epiphone pro bucker in a Gibson branded instrument would they? Also, what does this have to do with Epi dropping the EB-3 and EB-0?
The colors are nice and the matching head stocks are a nice touch but are these any different from the last NR run otherwise? Look forward to your review Scott.

No info at all about what's under the cover.  I hope it's not a ceramic TB plus, if it is it's a easy enough fix, I'll just put a Thunderbucker in the neck position.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2021, 02:57:42 PM »
I'm afraid not.
They're all gone.

Now and then one pops up on Marktplaats (marketplace or similar).
But they always sell quickly. If you ever see one, don't wait too long... ;)

Oh, I know, I keep my eyes peeled over here for if and when they pop up. After much waylaying I should be finally wrapping up my refinishing on mine early next month. Very excited to get it back together. I just need about 2-3 more of them, and it doesn't seem Gibson will be doing that anytime soon.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
The last Non Rev RIs (2013?) were too massive both as regards body and neck. They felt, played and sounded nothing like a 60ies Non Rev, but very much like a Rev Studio (which essentially they were). Nothing inherently wrong with that, but not what you lot wanted.

If you play a real TB Non Rev, it ironically has a bit of a cheap, flimsy feel - a TB Rev, a Ric or a Fender P feel much more substantial. That is part of its idiosyncratic charm. You can tell it was a rushed design born out of necessity and production cost reduction aims. Will Gibson be brave enough to replicate that "cult" feel for the sake of historical accuracy? The bass would be much neck-heavier for one. Also, it would not really feel like a bass you just paid 1,800 bucks for.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:38:20 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
Will Gibson be brave enough to replicate that "cult" feel for the sake of historical accuracy? The bass would be much neck-heavier for one. Also, it would not really feel like a bass you just paid 1,800 bucks for.

As opposed to, like, what, 4-6k for an actual 60s non-rev? :p
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2021, 05:33:10 PM »
Vintage mojo explains that - not the thought-out-ness of a bass. Or would you pay 4-6k for a new model that is both neck-heavy and has a mispositioned bridge?  8)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2021, 03:08:39 PM »
Vintage mojo explains that - not the thought-out-ness of a bass. Or would you pay 4-6k for a new model that is both neck-heavy and has a mispositioned bridge?  8)

You did, so how bad of an idea could it be?   

I'd happily do the same ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
My Non Rev IV was actually quite cheap due to the awful neck break repair which in the process had the pre-owner give up playing bass. It's fine now that my luthier repaired it some 15 years ago.

But you know my view: A TBird or a Ric without a neck-thru construction is no real TBird or Ric to me. I sometimes think that I'm the only person in this forum to whom that makes such a vital difference. Once you are higher than the  7th fret, no bolt-on or set neck can emulate the cello-like effect of a neck-thru. Of course, if short and fast notes are more your thing, you perhaps don't even want that type of sustained gradual tone development. I tend to play fast and snappy only below the 7th fret and above the 12th. The area in between the two, I use for the longer notes. On a bolt-on or a set neck it just doesn't sound the same.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2021, 10:16:24 AM »
I fell in love with the look of neck-through basses in the mid-80s when brands like Alembic, Aria, Kawai, Rickenbacker, and Vantage showed up on my radar. By contrast, Thunderbirds have only captured my attention in the last 15 years or so.

Imagine my surprise when a couple of local builders with decades-long pedigrees from big-name brands and their own custom builds poo-pooed any of the touted benefits of neck-through construction. These are guys who have had literally thousands of basses pass through their hands and both are really down on the neck-through format. They still build them, but only for high profile players.

Their disdain really caught me off guard.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
The set neck Ric 4000 basses are really wonderful things .
I was surprised by how much I like mine .

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »
The set neck Ric 4000 basses are really wonderful things .
I was surprised by how much I like mine .

These are getting hard to find and expensive...I know exactly one person who owns a 4000, and he bought it new.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »
I picked it up through a friend about a year and a half ago . I got a really good price and promised I would look after it rather than flip it for profit . I play it a lot , although I don't often drag it out on gigs , I was surprised to discover how much I love the two knob simplicity , and the thing just roars . I put TI flats on it . I believe it's a set neck 76 . I also have an 80 4001 I must have bought about sixteen years ago .
The friend also had an Epi Flying V for sale , I tried it and kinda giggled , and picked up the Ric . About a month later I called and it had not sold , so I picked it up .
The V is a guilty pleasure , but  I love that thing too .

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »

But you know my view: A TBird or a Ric without a neck-thru construction is no real TBird or Ric to me.

Nope, totes with you on that, if possibly a bit less religiously (non-revs are pretty cool).  The worst is when they still do the raised middle bit without the thru neck - just why?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2021, 10:49:09 AM »
The G2 bass has popped up for sale on the first sites

$2800

https://www.americanmusical.com/gibson-gene-simmons-g2-thunderbird-bass/p/GIBBAT4GSM00-EBB

:popcorn: