Author Topic: Gibson Musikmesse news  (Read 11674 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson Musikmesse news
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:17:44 PM »
Of the five Gibson and Epi press releases I found for this year’s Frankfurt Musikmesse, this is the only one that mentions basses: http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004243.html:

Highlights of artist inspired models offered by Gibson USA include the Nikki Sixx Thunderbird Bass with 9-ply neck-through construction, AAA Maple wings, mirrored pickguard with Nikki’s signature and Double X logo and ebony fingerboard with Red X markers. A satin black cherry finish, volume tone kill switch electronics and a Custom red snakeskin case are features exclusively designed with the legendary rocker.

System of the Down fans can view the Shavo Thunderbird Bass with an elongated headstock for tone enhancement, swamp ash wings, Custom black chrone Shamrock tuners and Satin platinum finish with a brush platinum pickguard. Shavo designed the beard logo Truss rod-cover and Custom case with his signature beard logo.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Musikmesse news
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:32:29 PM »
Uwe has some collecting to do!!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »

He isn't the only one  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »
System of the Down fans can view the Shavo Thunderbird Bass with an elongated headstock for tone enhancement.......

....And it also features swamp ash wings, which is considerably lighter than mahogany. What a great idea! A T-Bird with even more neck dive!  :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:55:10 PM by MattK »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:10:40 PM »
You can always drill the body and inlay some brass or lead weights for counterbalance.  :P

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:32:04 PM »
You guys should all know by now that if there is ever going to be a bass that I must have, Shavo's signature Tbird is it. Probably won't be able to get it till the end of it's run because of money constraints but I still plan to purchase it.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:41:16 PM »
I'd REALLY love to get one of those new Sixx models. Those just look too sweet!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 06:14:53 AM »
My dealer is already negotiating to get them for me!

So that silver TBird we saw a while ago is the Shavo model, interesting. Swamp ash and mahogany, interesting combination. While swamp ash is generally known to be light, I'm sure there are heavy species too that would still balance a TBird nicely. Using ash on a bass is pretty much a first time for Gibson though the 20/20 claimed to have it too (but of the heavy kind).

I'm going to the fair tomorrow with my son (queuing up for a Slash autograph at the Gibson booth), Chris Decker is actually here today with a horde of Holländers and I'm meeting them tonight for dinner.

Uwe

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:22 AM »
Yes, it's definitely possible for swamp ash to be heavier than mahogany. You never know, they may be selecting pieces of similar weight. Or not.

Dinner with Chris? Excellent, but remember Basil Fawlty's advice ("don't mention the war").

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

"I'm going to the fair tomorrow with my son (queuing up for a Slash autograph at the Gibson booth), Chris Decker is actually here today with a horde of Holländers and I'm meeting them tonight for dinner"

Yeah, and ask him where my wedding ring is too please!   :D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
Chris Decker is actually here today with a horde of Holländers and I'm meeting them tonight for dinner

are you sure they're not after long lost bicycles?

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
So that silver TBird we saw a while ago is the Shavo model, interesting.
I missed that.

Edit: I went and searched it, I will be honest that Nikki's new signature is tempting to me as well.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
System of the Down fans can view the Shavo Thunderbird Bass with an elongated headstock for tone enhancement, swamp ash wings, Custom black chrone Shamrock tuners and Satin platinum finish with a brush platinum pickguard. Shavo designed the beard logo Truss rod-cover and Custom case with his signature beard logo.

Perfect timing for Gibson as SOAD is DOA or MIA

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »
They said they would be back sometime, they just went off  to do their own things for a while.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »

SOP for Gibson. But I think SOAD has been in suspended animation for a while now.