Author Topic: Played a '64 P last night .....  (Read 1788 times)

luve2fli

• View Profile
Played a '64 P last night .....
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
The drummer in my band has had it under his bed for years and just started noodling around with it. He brought it out last night just for kicks - to let me set it up for him, play it and give him some feedback on it. I've never been much of a vintage guy. I've never owned one and I've played very few. This one - while it was really nice - didn't blow me away. Great neck and (obviously) classic P-growl but it just didn't move me to any great extent. Preferences, I guess.  Anyway, he had NO IDEA it's value and when I threw some ballpark numbers at him, his jaw hit the floor. Funniest reaction I've seen in a long time. I will say though that the neck was beautiful .... nicely broken in, straight, dry, rounded edges from years of play. The only thing non-original about it was it had been re-finned back in the early 70's from burst to Natural but fairly well done. So .... what do you all figure it's worth? As I said, everything else right down to the pickguard screws was original. I gave him a number of about $5K based on what I've seen lately ..... close?!?
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Played a '64 P last night .....
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 05:47:50 PM »
That strikes me as high. You might see a dealer ask that at retail for a good refin but are they selling at that price? I'd say the $3500 range would be more likely.

OTOH I'm no expert. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:18:46 AM »
Even before the economy went south a nice '64-'65 P might pull 5-6 K  3,500 for a refin sounds about right
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:29:49 AM »
    I concur with Scott. $3500 IF all the original parts are there and the heel date is intact on the end of the neck. Was the neck refinned too?  Is the original decal intact?   If it was mine, I'd send it off to Lays and have a proper refin done in a 'stock' custom color or 'burst. The natural non-original color hurts the value a bunch IMHO. Refin or not, sounds like a nice bass.  I'm mostly a 60's T-Bird guy, but a nice 60's P-Bass, especially with an 'A' neck, is one hell of a bass!
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »
Yup - everything else original. Thanks for the advice OD66, I'll pass it on to him .....
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)