Author Topic: Coming soon from Gibson  (Read 6981 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: Coming soon from Gibson
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
Well, I love my Triumph and play it regularly.  Its one annoying flaw, in my eyes, is its weight.

They can put out a lo z EB-0/3 as well, they gotta have something new next year too! They can call it the EB-3-II :)
Lo z + Lo weight = success.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
For that they can just reissue the LP Sig though (mmmmmn, prototype spec LPSig).

... though I'd want a deeper more acoustically useful body personally,..... so LoZ EB650/EB750 anyone  :rimshot: 

Also, way to turn this place into talkbass  :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:18:01 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »
For that they can just reissue the LP Sig though (mmmmmn, prototype spec LPSig).

... though I'd want a deeper more acoustically useful body personally,..... so LoZ EB650/EB750 anyone  :rimshot: 

I don't see any 'Tort, it's not a P bass with flat, is it the best bass for mental?

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 10:55:02 PM »
I don't see any 'Tort, it's not a P bass with flat, is it the best bass for mental?

Did you mean to say "mental"?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 01:05:04 AM »
I'm not aware of any name-bassist who played the Triumph basses (either version) for any relevant period of time continuously in the seventies though people like Suzi Q were of course seen with one (or the original bassist of Oasis). In contrast, Les Paul and his guitar became one in the last few decades of his life.

Don't forget Robert P Kearns.
The Triumph was his main bass during the Cry Of Love years in the nineties.
These days he mainly plays the reissued Les Paul Signature  (Epi JCS   ;)  )

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »

The first 2 points are universal truths Frauline  :P

I was referring to complaining about bass weight.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 08:46:39 AM »
I still get a lot of questions about the Les Paul bass. "Where did you get a LP BASS???" "Is that a 60s???" "They made a LP BASS???"

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
When I had my Triumph in the early 80s I'd get questions like "Did you have a guitar converted into a bass?"

:rolleyes:
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »
Did you mean to say "mental"?

Yes Dave, I did  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

Since when did the LP Sig have a maho neck? All the ones I have seen have a three piece maple neck and sound like it too.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
Since when did the LP Sig have a maho neck? All the ones I have seen have a three piece maple neck and sound like it too.

Maybe only prototypes were mahogany? If there was mahogany neck ones they probably all end up in collectors hands :)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »

Don't shoot the messenger, that's official Gibby lit not my word. My understanding (as implied in my post) was that these were the prototype specs (note the pup - it appears to be a cream coloured, possibly gold like the L6S, oval shaped Triumph pup, and is described as such verbally vs the square LPSig/Cassidy pup we all know from the production models... also dual output jacks, I assume for seperate Hi and Lo Z outs) and that these specs  changed at some point before production began or not very long into it, though I don't think any of us have ever seen one (other than Rob's fabulous recreation, which was inspired by the discovery of that pic way back in the Pit days IIRC... also I think you said the same thing back then re the neck).

This (the spec change, at least as regards the neck, God only knows why they changed the pup - very much unlike Gibson to design something from scratch when there's a suitable component in the parts drawer) was likely because at the time they were changing all basses from shorty maho necks to for maple long scales anyway (see the EB0 and 3 of that period, as well as the recently introduced EB0/3L and later EB4L which had no shorty version - EB0s changed to maple in 72, LPSig was released in 73, EB4L in 72, and first production long scale in 70).  Frankly, I wish they never did, hence my Homer Simpson impression.

... so yeah, I want a maho shorty neck LPSig with Triumph pup and a deeper body.  Not happening even if I could afford it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:53:55 PM by Granny Gremlin »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »

... so yeah, I want a maho shorty neck LPSig with Triumph pup and a deeper body.  Not happening even if I could afford it.

Something like...

this:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
Something yes (and you know it, damn you!)... though the offset lower cutaway of the LPSig is really sexy (and ergonomic for really getting in there like I like to) and a much a deeper body (really I'd like something like that limited edition Hofner in the other thread, or the Gretsch in the same thread).

... and just to make things difficult, a single LoZ pup in a P position (give or take) LPSig position with a mudbucker in the neck, but as you know I don't have the funds for the Bach even.

A man can dream.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:13:54 PM by Granny Gremlin »

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
My understanding (as implied in my post) was that these were the prototype specs (note the pup - it appears to be a cream coloured, possibly gold like the L6S, oval shaped Triumph pup, and is described as such verbally vs the square LPSig/Cassidy pup we all know from the production models..

Now where did I read that the pickup was white… Thought it was here at the outpost. I´ve seen white lo z in pictures, but I don't think I have seen pics of the whole prototype instrument other than this ad. Looks white in the ad too.