Author Topic: Now playing over at TB....  (Read 4341 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Now playing over at TB....
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Now playing over at TB....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
I own a custom T'Bird by some English geezer that made F'Birds, but I don't own a Thunderbird... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
Haha, nice.

I wanted to post over there, but couldn't remember my password. Maybe a good thing...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
I think that by and large, p basses *are* p basses - with possible exception of those that are not p basses.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
How enlightening!

As much as I agree they should have MUCH larger option base, specifically with finishes, Fender itself seems to be a pretty well run/successful business though, no?

LOL! I remember when your only choice was maple or rosewood and a handful of finishes, with only sunburst carried in stock by most dealers. A quick look at Fender's website shows 23 Fender and 10 Squier Precisions, not counting the Custom Shop. Obviously they need a MUCH larger option base.  :rolleyes:

I dunno, last I heard they are losing money on a regular basis. Can't speak to the reliability of the source of this info though.

Fender's IPO prospectus showed that in 2011 the company realized a net profit of $320 million on revenue of $701 million. Beyond what's in the prospectus, it's a privately held company. But no doubt some mook on TB knows the real story.  :rolleyes:

Good...the giant scam is on a decline.

Seems like for every TB member who loves Fender unconditionally, there's a brainless twit who wouldn't know the meaning of "scam" if it bit him in the ass.  :rolleyes:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »
Oy I admire modern day Fender. Lots of options, very good quality control, price ranges for every taste and budget.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:22:16 AM »
I have no heartburn with Fender.  They're definitely riding the legacy of their successful instruments, but let's face it, they're standards around the world.  They have also done some nice things with Gretsch since acquiring that line. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »
Fender's IPO prospectus showed that in 2011 the company realized a net profit of $320 million on revenue of $701 million. Beyond what's in the prospectus, it's a privately held company.

They withdrew their IPO, BTW.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
They withdrew their IPO, BTW.

They did. The prospectus did show that they have enough long term debt to raise some concern. Speculation I read (in financial news, not guitar forums) was that they decided they wouldn't be able to raise enough at this time, especially in the wake of the Facebook IPO fiasco which softened the IPO market. But they aren't losing money.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:42 PM »
But they aren't losing money.

No argument there, and seeing what happened to several MI companies that went public, this is probably a good thing for them in the long run. The IPO was probably just a way to refinance their longterm debt. FMIC is nothing if not business-efficient.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:06:31 PM »
No argument there, and seeing what happened to several MI companies that went public, this is probably a good thing for them in the long run. The IPO was probably just a way to refinance their longterm debt. FMIC is nothing if not business-efficient.

That was a good part of it, also IIRC some of the original 1980s group that had already sold off some of their stake wanted to cash out the rest of their holdings.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
They shelved the IPO because Gibson will buy them. It's a secret, but Henry J. told me. After the takeover, the Precision will be rebranded - in line with Gibson tradition for budget brands such as "Kalamazoo" - Corona B I and the Jazz Bass Corona B II. Use of maple will be gently faded out, surplus maple confiscated and transported to Nashville for baking and subsequent conversion into fretboard wood.

There will be a few select reruns of Fender models as "Fender by Gibson" from the Gibson Custom Shop, albeit with improvements such as TB Plus pups, set neck, 2+2 tuners and maho wood construction. With each bass, four bolt-on screws will be separately packed in a velvet bag captioned "Fullerton Venerable Relics" and a personal commemorative note of Henry J. how  "Jesus was bolt-on too, but times move on".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »

ROFLMAO Uwe!   ;D

Thank you!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
Wait until someone copies and pastes Uwe's comments and posts them to other forums and a few dim bulbs take it seriously.  :vader:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
Will the German embassy in Washington, D.C., be safe?  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...