Author Topic: New Squier basses...  (Read 7574 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Squier basses...
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
The tiny frets would make it a non-starter for me. Not that I'd ever consider buying one anyway.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
Dave! As positive about Squier as ever! ;)

My 50s P has the tiny frets too and I like 'm.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
That's right. I'm positive I won't buy one.  :P

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
That's right. I'm positive I won't buy one.  :P

Plus one on that Dave, I work at a Fender/Squier dealer ( as the tech, I refuse to use the term luthier seems a bit pretentious ) and the number of banana-necked unadjustable guitars and basses I see............................. :puke:
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 04:29:01 PM »
Plus one on that Dave, I work at a Fender/Squier dealer ( as the tech, I refuse to use the term luthier seems a bit pretentious ) and the number of banana-necked unadjustable guitars and basses I see............................. :puke:

Really??

Is that true even on the VM series?

That blue 50's Squier is dangerous for me to look at...
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »
Really??

Is that true even on the VM series?

That blue 50's Squier is dangerous for me to look at...

The farther up the Squire food chain you go, the "adjustability" improves, but as Dave said :

"Cheesy vibe or not, you'll need frequent access to try to keep those green necks in adjustment.

At least a small percentage of Kent and Kay junk is still being gigged. I'm not confident any recent Squiers will still be in use 30-40 years down the road."

That's the way I see 'em too.....

Don't want to dis' Squires, much ( or any other entry level guit/bass either ) but they are what they are. I mean if you love the look and realize you may have neck/ electronic issues at some time...go for it, but by the time ( worst case scenario ) you replace the neck, pickups, pots ( might as well upgrade the tuners )..... see where this is going?
I'm only speaking from my experience and this is certainly just an opinion, but I probably deal with at least one customer a week that wants me to ( for example ) install a Floyd Rose trem and EMG active 81s in  his Squier strat because " then it will be just like Kirk Hammetts' ESP custom ". I'm sure most of them think I just don't want their business when I try to talk them out of it, but honestly I just can't do those kind of mods ( this would be an extreme example ) without feeling like I was ripping someone off.
On the other hand if one wanted to do the work themselves, I say go for it. I have a regular customer that just goes crazy modding up entry level guitars, and I'm more than happy to wire stuff up for him or do the final setup ( for a reasonable fee ) but the fees I would have to charge for routing, painting etc. would amount to extortion.
For what it's worth, If you like the " vintage vibe " and don't want to pay the American Vintage price tag go with the MIM 50s' P-bass or pick up a Mike Dirnt signature ( which IMHO is a Great bass ) they are a much more stable platform to build on, will have a higher resale value.......OK, I'll get off the soapbox. ( Dave, feel free to banish this post to the " Tech Bitches about Squiers too much and gets way off topic " forum and I'll go hit Ebay to look for parts for my Teisco restoration project  :mrgreen:

S.
That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 03:00:25 AM »
My contact at Fender's also thinks the Mike dirnt is really good.

I use my MIM 50s P as a work horse. I have this Squier Tele Bass and it isn't as good of course. But I only use it once in a while and then it's okay. I wouldn't take a Squier on world tour wit The Who playing two hours each nite, but just a a nice bass to use once in a while....

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48:47 AM »
>> Mike Dirnt signature ( which IMHO is a Great bass )

I really, really wish you hadn't said that. I was watching a couple on eBay that didn't go for that much money, but I talked myself out of bidding.  :sad:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »
OK, so here's a question:

The Dirnt has the split-P pickup, 34" scale, tone/vol controls, 4-saddle bridge.

The standard P has the same pickup, scale, controls, bridge.

Does a Dirnt sound any different than a good later series P? 

I have a '63 P and am having fun with a Turser 401, which is a '54 P copy with a single coil pickup. Would the Dirnt be significantly different than either bass?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rockinrayduke

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 07:09:49 PM »
I had a MIM Dirnt. Except for the chunky-ish neck it was great.

Does a Dirnt sound any different than a good later series P? 

About the same plus has the 50's vibe.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 12:49:43 AM »
I had a MIM Dirnt. Except for the chunky-ish neck it was great.

About the same plus has the 50's vibe.

Ash body, custom shop pickups and a Badass bridge, it has a different "character" than my '74 ( also an ash body ) the big neck gives it a very different feel, my '74 feels "dainty" compared to it. Soundwise? I think it has a little more sustain than my other Precision ( the bridge perhaps ) and the pickups seem a little ( very little ) hotter.

S.
That I ever wanted more
That I ever wanted more
All my pictures of you

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 05:05:38 PM »
OK, reasonable responses.

And (just IMO) not enough reason for me to spend the $ on a Dirnt.

rodl2005

• I like a nice warm tube....ahhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »
Only NOW the Dirnt bass is a SQUIER  :-\   I take it U R all talking re the FENDER M.Dirnt bass that was out a while ago- w/ the Badass bridge
EB Music Man Stingray 5/Fender '05 Am.Series Jazz/Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz/Epiphone Explorer/Modded Palatino EUB/Custom P-bass/Ibanez AFB140-basses. Ampeg SVTII/V4BH/Mark Bass LMII-Amps. Bergantino NV215 & NV610/AguilarGS112/GS115-cabs. Wilson, Humphrey Audio, E.H.& Digitech-FX.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 09:54:36 PM »
Only NOW the Dirnt bass is a SQUIER  :-\   I take it U R all talking re the FENDER M.Dirnt bass that was out a while ago- w/ the Badass bridge

The Fender Mike Dirnt is definitely still being made.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 04:58:07 AM »
Still there

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0138400341

I don't generally like signature models, but I can't see any mention of Mr Dirnt anywhere on this one, unless there's something on the back. And I like chunky necks. Hmmm, back to watching eBay.  8)