Author Topic: Edward van Halen...  (Read 2364 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Edward van Halen...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
There are plenty of bands which have a weak link, like David Lee Roth as a lead singer.  But they may also have another member super talented such as Eddie Van Halen.  Besides that, judging singing can get a little subjective.  It can get down to just being a matter of opinion sometimes, but certainly not always.  I was once in a band in which the lead singer was more of a showman than a singer.  I hadn't been very happy about adding him to the band.  but he did begin to fit in and got better as time went on.  When he left unexpectedly, I wasn't glad to see him go at all.  He had only been with the band a year, but in that time made a positive contribution. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 04:01:19 AM »
Tribute to Eddie Van Halen

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 01:36:35 PM »
DLR was/is a loveable loudmouth, can be hugely witty, entertain and was a sight to see, but his vocal inabilities were glaring. We're not taking about limits or being a one-trick-pony. That Japanese live album Van Halen did late in their career ... All the studio doctoring could not hide the fact why they had curiously (for a hard rock outfit), but wisely never released a live album with the DLR line up before.

That doesn't make Eddie less a giant and VH's successes any less impressive. When I saw VH(agar) live, they were a well-oiled, ebullient stadium rock machine with inspired/witty moments and palpable camaraderie, no weak link in the band at all. I've always thought Michael Anthony underrated though he played/plays with Chickenfoot/Hagar with a lot more freedom than he did with VH.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
Invariably, all threads lead to Ritchie and in this case also some other guy once name-checked by DP:

Ritchie Blackmore paid tribute to the fellow guitar wizard:

"Eddie Van Halen was a brilliant guitarist who started a technique of guitar playing which was emulated by a whole generation of guitarists. He was one of the nicest musicians I ever met in the music business. Very shy and not at all conceited about his ability as a guitar player.

Frank Zappa said [Eddie] reinvented the guitar. I agree.

He will be sadly missed but his brilliant legacy will always be remembered. The ultimate guitar hero."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 06:01:46 AM »
The mighty Van Halen when they were on top of their game:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 10:15:30 AM »
And wiped the floor with Black Sabbath, t'is true. Everyone was impressed, I remember people who saw them at the time (for some reason - probably money - I couldn't go).

Michael Anthony's vocals are pitch-perfect.

I heard Van Halen for the first time via AFN (American Forces Network, the US Military radio station in Germany). And then a friend bought the debut album and we sat around listening to it, marvelling at the larger than life cover. Two things struck me back then, Eddie's liquid solos (which I wrongly assumed to have been doctored in the studio, I had no idea what tapping was) and the neat high-pitch multi-harmony backing vocals (dito), which reminded me of Sweet. Overall, there was a gloss (without sacrificing power) to the production of that first album that you hadn't heard before back then. Oh, and one other thing I deemed even "brave" back then: Eddie did not dub rhythm guitar or keyboards when he soloed, but relied just on drums and bass. That was rare in the 70ies, but became very much de rigueur in the 80ies with bands that had just one guitarist and I believe VH's arrangements on their debut played a large role in that.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:02:27 PM by uwe »

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »
I was lost in the shuffle and mostly just listening to the Chess catalogue when Van Halen happened . But knowing a bunch of rock poodles I was quite aware of their impact and influence .
I missed Led Zep too ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »
And wiped the floor with Black Sabbath, t'is true. Everyone was impressed, I remember people who saw them at the time (for some reason - probably money - I couldn't go).

You rarely hear that kind of crowd response  when it comes to a one album released opening act. Just listen to the encore chant.

Michael Anthony's vocals are pitch-perfect.
His high pitched screams (chorus of D.O.A  at 37:26 for example) always brings a smile to my face.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 05:49:40 AM »
Mary Spender reflecting on Eddie Van Halen.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 11:17:55 AM »
Never 'eard of 'er (though she was born in Germany as a British Army barrack brat), but when I pack up I want to be mourned by pretty 30-year-old women not related to me too.

She plays guitar - without nose wrinkle eruptions, would you believe?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »
I think she must be mostly a You Tube personality.  I ran across her several years ago when she was doing the backup singing to some hard rock guy's music video.  I think I mostly like her videos of being in music stores since I don't have many interesting ones I can visit myself.  In this one, after running out of things to do, she even ends up in the bass section. 

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:30:46 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 06:48:23 AM »
Too bad she didn't jump around in a swimsuit while playing eruption or something. That would have been more in keeping with honoring what Eddie would have wanted  ;D

I think the job Rick Beato does here analyzing Running with the Devil is also a fitting tribute to Eddie's legacy and he even did it pre mortem before it was cool.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 07:29:40 AM »
Might as well post Rick Beato's video after EVH's death, too.  I had recently watched the one he has on why older people hate pop music, but hadn't seen his tribute to Eddie Van Halen yet. 

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »
Phil X about Eddie van Halen.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »
How much did they pick up a Californian accent, Rob?  ;)