Author Topic: Saw Heart last night  (Read 2251 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Saw Heart last night
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
The good news: Ann and Nancy Wilson both still have their pipes! They have to work harder to hit the highest notes, but it's working. Ann can still pin you to the wall when she rears back and punches it.  Nancy's guitar work is solid, and she's really active moving around the stage. They both appear to be in good health and they're punching it out.

It looks like both of them are really enjoying what they do - and what more can one ask, other than the opportunity to do it?

Nancy was wearing the same outfit as in the photo from a recent show below - Ann was in all black with fringe.

The bad: there was a band from Boulder called The Bandits as warm-up. Not a complimentary pairing, as they were "heavy rock" on the edge of metal. Why book a band like that for an audience of 30+ people? No one in the area where I sat could figure out what they were doing there, but fortunately they only played for a half-hour. It was one of those "Well, I suppose it's OK if you like that sort of music..." moments.

Heart only played for an hour, but then they did three numbers in encore - two of them Led Zep. I know they've been doing Zep, and Ann's voice is a darn good match for the old Zep sound. I saw a clip from a recently Kennedy Center broadcast where the band played Stairway To Heaven with Ann doing the vocals - it was DARN good!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Saw Heart last night
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 11:03:56 AM »
Did they play "All I wanna do"?

I just love that song, both lyrics and music. And you thought I wasn't the romantic type!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »

I saw them a bunch of times with their original lineup way back in the day. On the Eastside (of Lake Washington) they were often called "Little Led Zeppelin" from the very beginning. They played one of my High School dances too. Shows I saw them at included Foreigner, Bob Welch - that was in Vancouver BC, Cheap Trick, Alcatraz and few others...... The husband of ex-wife's best girlfriend worked as Denny Carmassi's drum roadie for many years - We gave him a ride home once after picking them up at Boeing Field, I had a 1969 Caddy at the time.
 Lots of pleasant memories of them, their original bassist Steve Fossen worked at BassNW and I had the pleasure of meeting him there a couple times, I sold my 4001 Rick on consignment there and I remember him commenting "I'll sell this in a New York Minute!" when he saw it.
Looks like he's busy with a related project http://www.heartbyheart.com/
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
Did they play "All I wanna do"?
I just love that song, both lyrics and music. And you thought I wasn't the romantic type!

They had a couple of slower romantic tunes, but not that one - sorry.

I thought that Crazy On You was their best tune - they give it some extra time and solos, and Ann really showed off her voice. That has always been one of my favorites.

The intro to Crazy On you is that acoustic guitar lead-in...Nancy noodled along with that for a couple of minutes before launching into the main riff. Drove the audience nuts because they knew what must be coming.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
I know that "All I wanna do" is horribly bland "written to order" AOR, but I still like it!   :-[

Of course, Heart's original tunes have more edge and always that nice folk slant to them too. Happy to see them still going. Real survivors.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »
I saw the "classic" lineup (imho), with Carmassi and Andes... California and Brian May encored with Rock and Roll...

The "original" lineup toured here doing the clubs circa the first LP release...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »
One more note that I found interesting....

According to some background stuff I read, the acoustic guitar intro and work in Crazy On You (mentioned earlier in the thread) was evidently inspired by the Moody Blues' cut "Question". Evidently at that time, using an acoustic guitar in a rock number was rather unusual.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:55:54 PM »
I'd love to see Heart.  Last time they toured Australia it was as a support for Def Leppard - not my thing, I'm afraid.

Based on that photo, it looks like Ann has lost some weight recently?  She's looking great!
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
Their version of Stairway To Heaven at the Kennedy Center is the best I've ever seen/heard
Goosebumps when the choir comes in

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
I think Ann has lost weight - which I hope is good for her. I know that appearance is something women have to fight with harder than men do, but hopefully she's healthier at this weight. It sure doesn't get easier to lose it as you get older.

And THANKS for posting that Kennedy Center link!  I thought they did a fantastic job with that!!

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »
was expecting Nancy to play the solo, the house band guy did a really great job,
 I went and watched the whole show, Stairway was definitely the high point but there were no flies on any of the other performances, even Kid Rock

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
I know that "All I wanna do" is horribly bland "written to order" AOR, but I still like it!   :-[

A Mutt Lange composition, that one.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
One more note that I found interesting....

According to some background stuff I read, the acoustic guitar intro and work in Crazy On You (mentioned earlier in the thread) was evidently inspired by the Moody Blues' cut "Question". Evidently at that time, using an acoustic guitar in a rock number was rather unusual.

Yeah, I can hear the connection there.
I saw them in '77 in NYC Central Park, at the skating rink. Fantastic live sound for the time, and outdoors to boot.(Aztec Two Step opened - Zzzzzz.) Steve Fossen played a black Bicentennial Thunderbird.
Ann introduced the prelude to "Crazy On You" as "Silver Wheels", which ultimately showed up on the Bebe Le Strange album as a standalone track. According to what I've read, they were written as companion pieces. The two were strung together live, but SW was also paired with "Dreamboat Annie" sometimes. The Heart "Greatest Hits/Live" track list places them in succession.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcl0Iw3fs8&ab_channel=me182748312

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
That's a great cut. I note that Nancy played an Ovation guitar there. I have a soft spot for Ovations and the Applause models which came out of the same manufacturing process.  (I have an AE-140 short scale acoustic-electric.)