Author Topic: First real bass playing gig in 2 decades !  (Read 2091 times)

wellREDman

• View Profile
First real bass playing gig in 2 decades !
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
So yesterday i played my first gig as a musician in 20 odd years,

i've filled in on drums or bass or guitar with the kids I coach at school shows, but that doesn't count as the focus is on them , not me. yesterday at college we had a dress rehearsal for our first assesed performance, we had to play two songs in front of our whole year, was odd to feel pre gig nerves again, but massively fun to rock out again

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: First real bass playing gig in 2 decades !
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
Nice one...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 07:18:50 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »
Where did trust go...
Ah... of course... Lawyers, Guitars and Photos..... :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:07:55 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen.

sadly I don't know if there are any, there is video though which were gonna watch and critique next week so maybe a screen cap of that will be obtainable.

If not my wife the photographer will be at the actual assesed performance (which takes place in a real actual nightclub !) so there'll be pics of that for you to snigger and pass comment at the old man ion stage with a bunch of kids :)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
uwe has never posted pics of his alleged gigs. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 01:04:31 PM »
(Shhhh... He'll have you bound-over and gagged) :mrgreen:

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »
  So the actual gig happened, I was more  nervous than I've ever been , which I still don't really understand as I have vj'ed from onstage in front of 30,000 people, but I was completely freaked out by an audience of less than a 100 all either fellow students or their parents

The rest of the band did great, but I  fluffed two  intros and completely forgot the solo/outro I had been crafting for weeks in favour of random noodling on the pentatonic, thankfully  the drummer  rescued both intros  and I avoided pulling the "I screwed up face"  so no one was the wiser

as a band we went down well, everything else was tight and the other guys did a really great job, particularly the 16year old girl who in the space of 1 term went from not knowing what a distortion pedal was to rocking the hell out of "Cannonbal" AND teaching herself the mandolin so that she could play it on "Losing my Religion"

The brief was songs from the 90's so we had to do alot of compromising to find things we were all happy with, my contribution was a rousing funk metal version of "Spice up your Life" which we ended with and went down a storm

unfortunately my wife didn't take any group shots so here is a nicely shot one of me and a blurry group shot someone uploaded to phacebook so you can see the age gap :)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
uwe has never posted pics of his alleged gigs. :o

Sure he has.  I specifically remember one in what looked like a tent.... but yes he is stingy with the evidence.... Google gets me this (which is not the one I was thinking of):

Back on topic, my bad, but I always assumed his handle was referring to something other than the colour coordinated outfits of his band. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »
I can understand your nervousness after so long and in front of people who know you. Sounds like it went off well. Don't sweat the small mistakes, I'll bet no one else did.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
  So the actual gig happened, I was more  nervous than I've ever been , which I still don't really understand as I have vj'ed from onstage in front of 30,000 people, but I was completely freaked out by an audience of less than a 100 all either fellow students or their parents

The rest of the band did great, but I  fluffed two  intros and completely forgot the solo/outro I had been crafting for weeks in favour of random noodling on the pentatonic, thankfully  the drummer  rescued both intros  and I avoided pulling the "I screwed up face"  so no one was the wiser

as a band we went down well, everything else was tight and the other guys did a really great job, particularly the 16year old girl who in the space of 1 term went from not knowing what a distortion pedal was to rocking the hell out of "Cannonbal" AND teaching herself the mandolin so that she could play it on "Losing my Religion"

The brief was songs from the 90's so we had to do alot of compromising to find things we were all happy with, my contribution was a rousing funk metal version of "Spice up your Life" which we ended with and went down a storm

unfortunately my wife didn't take any group shots so here is a nicely shot one of me and a blurry group shot someone uploaded to phacebook so you can see the age gap :)

I do like that idiosyncratic Santa Claus meets Nu Metal meets nerd glasses intellectual-look!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »
Sure he has.  I specifically remember one in what looked like a tent.... but yes he is stingy with the evidence.... Google gets me this (which is not the one I was thinking of):

Thanks for digging that out Jake, I left those guys already again (fullfilled my commitments, three gigs, and left amicably in November), they were nice people, but the songgwriting process with them was too painful. We didn't gel on that level at all. And these days that is as - if not more - important to me as gigs. I need that creative process or I'm bored quickly.

I'm in a depressed state as regards bands right now. it seems to be impossible to find people in my age group that still want to write chiefly their own material. I go through the usual media with bands offering vacancies and there is nothing even remotely interesting for weeks.

Nofi, if you insist, voilĂ :

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:11:56 AM by uwe »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »
thanks for the pics, uwe. the rooftop one is cool. i hope you realize that i am just messing with you when i post stuff like that. sometimes my sarcasm gets me in trouble, doncha' know. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
That was actually a ship on the Main river, but now that you mention it, it sure looks like a roof top! No issues with your sarcasm at all - hey, I invented it! -, I tend to be lazy posting my own gig pics so this was an opportunity to dig a few of them out.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 03:58:03 AM »
I still think they could easily cast you as the sinister German henchman in any Bond movie... or maybe the evil genius... :vader: