Author Topic: I just bought a Musicmaster !  (Read 6185 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: I just bought a Musicmaster !
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
i love red Chucks. they always remind me of Joan Jett. i'm from Forest Hills Queens, so da Brudda's were always very special to me.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:46:22 PM by SKATE RAT »
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »
Has anyone compared one of the new Squier Broncos with the Musicmaster?  The pickup size and placement is similar, and the bridge and saddles are identical to the ones in the first post in this thread.

Those little Broncos are pleasantly light and don't sound half bad.  They sell 'em for $149 at my local music store, and there's a red one with pretty nice action in stock.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:55:04 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
I've three musicmaster at this stage, I've had 4 squier musicmaster vista series, those are really really great have an mustang bridge so 4 saddles and string through. And I've had three or four bronco's (still have the badtz maru version i nuse by my wife)) Sound is pretty simulat to my musicmasters. De neck is great it has the same profile as my pre76 musicmaster bassen but with the maple fretboard the sounds is little more "open en brighter" De neck is also finished with a satin laquer and plays just like butter. Love them. And for 149 I think they're big vallue for the money. I do think the tuners are a little doggy tough.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »
Thanks!  I don't know what's inside that single pickup, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the Fender basses with that design had similar pickups.  Your comments are much appreciated.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
De pups of the orginal musicmaster were mustang guitar pups or some say strat pups. De pup in mij bronco has 6 pole pieces as well.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »
Mustang and Musicmaster guitar pickups are identical, and they were also used in the Musicmaster bass. They fit in a Strat cover but the polepieces are shorter. If you need a gray-bottom (70's) Strat pickup, Mustang pickups will fit and they are about 1/3 of the price of a Strat pickup from the same year.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
By the way is there a significant weight difference on the Musicmasters over the years they were in production like the rest of the Fender Basses? (i.e. the '75-'80's Fender Precisions, Jazz and Mustangs were almost 2 lbs heavier on the Precision and Jazz and even the Mustangs). I ask this becasue the Musicmasters were even more pointed at the youth/students and it seems it could not be expected that a kid could hold up 10 lbs. I have a '67 Mustang and it weighs 7 1/4 lbs and my daughter has a '78 Mustang and hers weighs 9 3/4 lbs. Hers' actually sounds better but it pains me to play it standing up for more than 15 minutes and it stops the blood circulation in my leg sitting down! She loves hers however.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 05:32:42 AM »
I have a '66 Mustang bass that is actually too lightweight. It's 7.2 lbs. I had to replace the OEM tuners with Hipshot Ultralites to overcome neck-heaviness.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:12:01 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023