Author Topic: Epiphone T bird on Ebag-Need Advise  (Read 1975 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Epiphone T bird on Ebag-Need Advise
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171340472183?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The second picture looks like there is either a photo reflection or a crack... I want to pick this up...what do you guys think???

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Epiphone T bird on Ebag-Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:08:54 PM »
I emailed the guy
To: into-sound
Subject: Other: bionic-joe sent a message about Epiphone Japan TB-90 Thunderbird Bass VS Guitar RefNo 40684 #171340472183
Sent Date: May-25-14 19:24:16 PDT

Dear into-sound,

Hello,
Is that a crack behind the headstock??? Do you have a more clear photo of the back of the neck behind the nut?? It Looks Like a crack.
Thank you!
Joe

- bionic-joe

HIS RESPONSE:

Dear bionic-joe,

im sorry
photo in ebay page is all

thank you

- into-sound

???? What am I to think???

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
What are you to think?

1. That seller sported his little Epi with a Gibson truss rod cover which he took off for the pictures so no one would slap his fingers.

2. Don't think that is a crack in picture No 2, probably just a dent from the hanger or whatever. Those Jap Epi TBs are studier than their US counterparts (but to my knowledge also not neck thru).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
I think it looks more like a mark (maybe from a hanger as Uwe suggested) and a bad reflection. Dennis has one of these so maybe he knows for sure about the neck-thru. I'm thinking these are different than the Elitist bases with the set neck. As always, I could be wrong bout that. 
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
Looks like a dent to me.  In the magnified view, I can see the mark trailing off horizontally across the neck, which is not where a crack would travel.

What are you to think? That the seller is an A-hole who either knows nothing about instruments and can't be bothered to look at it, or knows what he's doing and is either hiding something or simply doesn't give a s**t and knows someone will buy it.

Incidentally, there's something a bit nasty about that output jack - the finish around it is lifting. Looks to me like either it has gotten wet or something has yanked that output jack sideways pretty hard.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
Either the seller has something to hide or else he doesn't actually have the bass in his possession.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:33:58 AM »
That's what I thought...If he can't write me back and communicate in proper English, Forget him...Nice Greco single pickup T bird he has up for sale as well...hiding something...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:03:06 AM »
The Japanese Epi T birds are set neck basses. Mine had already been brought to the US and still had the Japanese paperwork with it. No help there! They are pretty uncommon in the US and I think I paid a little less than his price and didn't have to cough up $140 in shipping.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
Late reply considering the listing has ended but my thoughts anyway. With that feedback history (265 over 12 months) and most of it being guitars or guitar oriented items, my guess is the seller is a Japanese musical store or even maybe a chain of stores. Even if there is only one guy there handling the Ebay listings I'd say that's a seriously bad excuse for not providing additional pics or info.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
Gee, tough audience, even though his grandfather might have fought against US Marines in WWII.  Like a lot of Japanese ebay sellers, his English is probably poor.  I've bought 7 or 8 basses from various Japanese sellers and have never been stung.  I think that Epi Elite bird looks fine to me.  I was watching the single pup Greco as well, and thankfully someone else hit the BIN before I weakened.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
Now someone listed a 2 pickup sunburst Greco here in the states!!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Epiphone T bird on Ebag-Need Advis
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
    Late to the party, I also think that it is just a dent.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
Gee, tough audience, even though his grandfather might have fought against US Marines in WWII.  Like a lot of Japanese ebay sellers, his English is probably poor.  I've bought 7 or 8 basses from various Japanese sellers and have never been stung.  I think that Epi Elite bird looks fine to me.  I was watching the single pup Greco as well, and thankfully someone else hit the BIN before I weakened.

Just because you've had good luck with other Japanese doesn't mean this guy is okay.

Other non-native-English speakers sellers who list internationally will answer questions to the best of their abilities. To me, it's a big red flag when someone won't try.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
I owned Tom Petersson's Epiphone Japan T bird for about 5 minutes... I sold it quick to buy a vintage T bird...or a Hiwatt...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »
I just got this response:

Dear bionic-joe,

Hi

its not cracked
how about it?

thank you

- into-sound

BUt no close up photos...