Author Topic: May have dodged a bullet  (Read 6239 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
May have dodged a bullet
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:10:40 PM »
I was getting ready to call it a night, and when I went to put laundry away, found that my dresser had been gone through, and items taken.  In my closet, a duffle bag was also missing, but the contents left behind.  Both my basses were next to the duffle bag, and things like binoculars and a digital camera were left in my dresser.

What did I lose?  The duffle bag, and two tins of odds and ends.  One small tin had about $6 in change.  The other one will be harder to deal with - I lost all my spare car keys and fobs, two watches from my dad, my safe deposit key, and the key to my security box.  I'm not sure what else was in there.  I still have the lock box (also within reach of the duffle bag, as was a camcorder), but I can't open it to check the contents.  I believe everything is still there, and I hope it is.  Fortunately for me, I took an heirloom diamond and gold pendant to my safe deposit box recently, but there are two other pieces of jewelry that should be locked up in there.  Replacment keys to be ordered in the morning.

The bottom line is that this is really creepy and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't sleep well for a few days.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

fur85

• View Profile
Re: May have dodged a bullet
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:03:16 AM »
Sorry to hear it Gary. That's a drag and kind of weird. Do you think it was someone you know?

Is the Embassy okay?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:20:36 AM »
Sorry to hear it Gary. That's a drag and kind of weird. Do you think it was someone you know?

Is the Embassy okay?

Both the Embassy and the Bettie Page were only a foot away from the duffle bag, and are safe and sound.  Nobody has the key to my place, and I'm off in the back corner of my apartment complex.  It's actually very creepy.  I've had no real visitors here, other than my daughter, and there was so much else of value right there for the taking, such as my laptop.  I'm still trying to understand why someone would empty the duffle bag.  My girlfriend will be happy that her robe is safe.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:37:24 AM »
Weird. My first thoughts are someone who works for the apartment complex went in to your apartment.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 05:56:17 AM »
i agree. i worked as apt. maintaince for several years. we had keys for every unit, plus we rekeyed locks when needed. i would check that out. i walked in on a burglary at our old house. after a brief dust up with the perps all that was missing was a bottle of wine, a large uncut topaz my wife had and my .357. but the house was totally trashed. they turned the place upside down looking for drugs or cash. i was more upset about my gun being on the street with a bunch of thugs than anything else. it really sucks to feel that violated but you are ok and that is all that matters. it may hurt for awhile but in the end its only stuff. :sad: >:(
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 06:17:09 AM »
Bingo! My thoughts also. Glad you and the basses are ok.
Weird. My first thoughts are someone who works for the apartment complex went in to your apartment.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
My first call at midnight was to apartment management, since they had come in for winter inspection the day before.  They always send a notice, so I was aware of this.  This looks like someone who is a klepto more than a thief.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:18:43 AM »
No sign of forcible entry, happened the day after winter inspection? Too much coincidence there. Has to be connected somehow.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:24:32 AM »
No sign of forcible entry, happened the day after winter inspection? Too much coincidence there. Has to be connected somehow.

Agreed.  Too much coincidence.  First question is who was present for the inspection.  They would be my top suspects.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

aproud1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
That sucks Gary. Sorry to hear man.

If you need a safe place to keep you basses I'm only like 2 hours away...... ;)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:21 AM »
That sucks. I had my truck broken into once. Basically just lost a nice leather bag with a change of clothes and toiletries, but it's a disturbing feeling for sure. I too was in apartment maintenance for 10 years and had a single master key to 750 units. I tend to wanna trust people, but this def sounds fishy.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
That sucks Gary. Sorry to hear man.

If you need a safe place to keep you basses I'm only like 2 hours away...... ;)

Thanks!  Hey, everyone - welcome Andy to our quirky bunch.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »
Gary, you may want to consider a camera-recording system that can keep a record of who's in there while you're away.  There are computer-based systems you could easily set up yourself.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:22:14 AM »
I've talked to the property manager.  They did maintenance the day before this happened, and both her and the maintenance guy were present.  No temp or contract help.  The locks were all changed a few years back, so only onsite maintenance has a key, and I haven't given a key to anyone.

One very scary thought I had was the fact that I used to talk and walk in my sleep when I was younger.  I've even checked the dumpsters here, but pickup day was yesterday.  Figures.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »
Gary, you may want to consider a camera-recording system that can keep a record of who's in there while you're away.  There are computer-based systems you could easily set up yourself.

That was exactly what the policeman who filed the report suggested.  Only $300.  And, if it was me, I'd know that, too.