Author Topic: Frank Zappa beer?!!!  (Read 2862 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Frank Zappa beer?!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:24:32 PM »
This thread had me doing my semi-annual Youtube prowl for Zappa footage.  I saw some new (to me) clips from that '74 "dub room" show.  Check out Napoleon's sax solo in this (starts at 2:13).  Dig the wah-wah!

Here's another cut I hadn't seen footage of yet, from this same concert:

Anyone know if this is available on DVD somewhere??  I'd love to see this show in something more inspiring than 400 pixels of flash video.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
Yup, the "Dub Room Special" or whatever it's called is available on DVD. What I would much prefer to get would be the original unedited footage - "A Token Of My Extreme" was aired much earlier, then the "claymation" stuff was added later. I have a bootleg DVD of the '80s footage too that doesn't have any claymation, just the straight footage.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 12:23:40 PM »
Just picked up another one:

When Frank remastered his albums in the '80s, he overdubbed new bass and drum parts on "Cruising with Ruben & the Jets" and "We're Only In It For The Money". I found a small record store in Stockton a couple of years ago and he had just gotten a crate full of records, and when I found "Cruising" I grabbed it, because I always wanted to hear what the original sounded like. I only listened to it once though! Maybe when I set up my record player again (just moved) I'll give it a spin.

Oh, and the beer wasn't very good this time - too sweet, almost syrupy. My wife insists that this whole series of beers taste the same but I enjoyed the other ones...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »
found "Cruising" I grabbed it, because I always wanted to hear what the original sounded like. I only listened to it once though! Maybe when I set up my record player again (just moved) I'll give it a spin.

I had all of his records at one point then like an idiot dumped them all at a used record store for hardly anything.

By not growing up in the 50's I find any Do Wop hard to listen to. It's become kind of a lost music, unless you love "Jersey Boys".

Do wop seemed to influence a of his vocals, I guess because that what he grew up with.

Now Lumpy Gravy.....