Author Topic: Chrysler in talks with....  (Read 5291 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Chrysler in talks with....
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 05:53:41 AM »
I'm so old I remember when Kaiser acquired Jeep from Willys.

If you're not farting dust yet, then you're not that old ;D
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:27 AM »
Fiat's ad slogan in the US in the late 50s was "always have at least one Fiat." I think that was to give you better than even odds that one of them would start.  :)

Times have changed. Fiat and Chrysler both put out more reliable cars now.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
You have one of those in your garage?   :o

Sure do - it was my high school graduation present.  It's been in a very slow restoration for years, but it's just waiting for paint now.  And if I ever find a windshield, I'll replace the one in it - there's a vertical crack from top to bottom on the passenger side.

Mine's white with red & black interior, white top - and since it has been stored mostly indoors since I got it in 1968, believe it or not, it has the original top and the original rear window is still intact.

Mechanically it's not wonderous.  The 1200 CC engine is a design invented in 1938 as a 1100 CC unit, expanded slightly in the 50's.  The driveline is Fiat 1200 series, it's just the body that's cool...and body pieces are really, really, really hard to find.  It's all of 64 HP, but it has an alpine-geared rear end of about 4.10, so it will get up to 50 MPH pretty well.  But if memory serves, at 5300 RPM (really screaming along) it's traveling all of 72 MPH.  It's a town and mountain car, not a freeway car.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:03:51 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:03 PM »
We have a guy  around me who drives around in an old Willy's pickup truck from the early 50"s.

You just do not see many old Willy's, Studebakers or AMC's driving around anymore, at least here.

One of these days, I'm going to have to get me an old Avanti II.  Not to hijack the thread, but my great-great-great(?) grandmother was Mary Studebaker.  Her two brothers were wagon makers.  Their sons went on to become early automobile makers.  My lineage is listed in their family tree, right down to my two kids.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 05:53:27 AM »
One of these days, I'm going to have to get me an old Avanti II.  Not to hijack the thread, but my great-great-great(?) grandmother was Mary Studebaker.  Her two brothers were wagon makers.  Their sons went on to become early automobile makers.  My lineage is listed in their family tree, right down to my two kids.

Wow, you're like automotive royalty :mrgreen:
I'm a car guy and I love those old Studebakers. The early 50s Super Hawks and Golden Hawks, are to this day, some of the finest looking  cars to ever hit the highway.The Avanti was sweet too, but I love those old Hawks.
The Studebaker Bros were true pioneers in the industry. I've even seen a couple of their wagons. They were first class pieces of work too.
At Henry Fords Greenfield Village Old Car Festival last September, they fired up one of the old Studebaker race cars from the early 1900s and ran it around the village a few times with a bunch of other race cars from that period. It was my absolute favorite. Sounded great, ran great and the guy who restored it had a hand written manual from the crew that built  and raced it. Might have even had some notes in there from  family members.
Rick

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 06:11:54 AM »
The early 50s Super Hawks and Golden Hawks, are to this day, some of the finest looking  cars to ever hit the highway.The Avanti was sweet too, but I love those old Hawks.

Count me as a member of the Studabaker Hawk club. I always wanted one. Lets not forget the bullet nosed coupes.
 Lets all sing the theme song together

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »
For many years, my mom's car was a 1950 Studebaker Champion convertible.  It had been sitting for 20 years (inside storage) when she and dad moved from the 'big" house in the country to a smaller house in town.  In about 2000 we sold it to a couple in Canada, but my brother (who had been storing it) asked for first option if they ever sell it.

This photo I found is pretty much identical, including color:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »
One of my uncles had a first year Golden Hawk in black. It was very fast in its time. He bought it from Mosehart & Keller Studebaker in Houston, who claimed to be the world's oldest auto dealer. They had started as a carriage shop founded about 1890.

I just found a nice Hawk and Avanti photo gallery here.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »
Studebacker Commanders were very cool as well and used for hot rods

rockinrayduke

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »
I'm so old I remember when Kaiser acquired Jeep from Willys.

Well, you are pretty old.

:mrgreen:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »

Pilgrim,

Awesome car, I hope you'll finish it up and share some pics of it with us.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
Well since this is a Mopar thread...
This is my toy - no Fiat DNA anywhere ;D

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
Well since this is a Mopar thread...
This is my toy - no Fiat DNA anywhere ;D

.......YET!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
Is that a Magnum?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 04:11:41 PM »
No that's a '79 Chrysler 300 - built off the Cordoba body - they only made about 4000 of them. Good eye, though - the Magnum was Dodge's sister car, virtually the same body, but the nose and taillights are different.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter