Author Topic: So, are we definitely getting NO basses at all in 2016?  (Read 7749 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: So, are we definitely getting NO basses at all in 2016?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2015, 09:54:43 AM »
That proboscis of an upper horn - ugh.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2015, 12:19:52 AM »
That proboscis of an upper horn - ugh.

Yep. Reminiscent of the extended horn on the early 90s American Jazz Plus (a/k/a the Boner Bass).

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »
I liked the EB better...vaguely retro Mosrite-ish

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:50 AM »
Yep. Reminiscent of the extended horn on the early 90s American Jazz Plus (a/k/a the Boner Bass).

...or the anteater-inspired Curbow.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »

It's just me thinking out loud that they'll have something to say at Winter NAMM
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
It's just me thinking out loud that they'll have something to say at Winter NAMM

It wouldn't surprise me. However, I'd be astonished if they offer anything new. Reintroducing the 2015 models, reviving some form of the Les Paul Bass or the recent NR Bird, something like that could happen. A new design like they did with the EB Bass (or the non-existent V-Bass)? Nah. Not unless Henry has another bout of temporary insanity.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
 :toast: Here's to insanity!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me. However, I'd be astonished if they offer anything new. Reintroducing the 2015 models, reviving some form of the Les Paul Bass or the recent NR Bird, something like that could happen. A new design like they did with the EB Bass (or the non-existent V-Bass)? Nah. Not unless Henry has another bout of temporary insanity.

Temporary???  I think he's got several lifetime's worth stored up!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

cheyenne

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
If they don't want to do basses anymore, maybe they'll let Epiphone run with the designs. My Alpine white T-bird Classic IV is a great bass. I'd love to see a true to form Ripper in Epi's lineup with the same attention to detail, maybe a Victory,,Les Paul,,ect..

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
If they don't want to do basses anymore, maybe they'll let Epiphone run with the designs. My Alpine white T-bird Classic IV is a great bass. I'd love to see a true to form Ripper in Epi's lineup with the same attention to detail, maybe a Victory,,Les Paul,,ect..

They may do that, and it would be good so long as the hardware and electronics are first rate, like the TBird Classic IV Pro. Problem is, the lowest end of the Epi line is pretty crappy and that tarnishes the name for some buyers. Others will not buy Chinese instruments on principle. So there will always be a market for US-made, Gibson branded basses.

They will return. This isn't the first time there have been no basses in their lineup.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
I've been sitting on the sidelines thinking the same thing about Epiphone basses. They make some pretty good ones, and it may be that Gibson is going to do more in that line and less in the Gibson line. Fender is sure selling their less expensive instruments, and getting good reviews about them.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

cheyenne

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 08:33:57 AM »
I'll agree with the quality parts and components. My T-Bird literally shocked the hell out of me with its quality. One of my happier bass purchases.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 11:13:28 AM »
If they don't want to do basses anymore, maybe they'll let Epiphone run with the designs. My Alpine white T-bird Classic IV is a great bass.

I have one of these also, along with a few other Epi basses. I love all of them, but Dave's point about the lower end of the line rings true - especially with guitars. I haven't found that any of my Epi basses needed anything more than a good quality setup.
I hate the idea of buying overseas product, but the US manufacturers have priced some of us out of the market. I try to buy used whenever possible.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
I feel like I'm being watched.

So vee are not going to zee ze V-Waffe effer?!!!!

I really like the shape of this guitar and I think it could be the basis for a whole line of basses from Gibson.

Version 1 would be plain solid wings and passive electronics with an economy finish like the EB basses and in the same price range.
Version 2 would be upgraded to a high gloss finish and some new custom colors and priced like the 2014 Thunderbirds.
Version 3 would add active electronics and more dollars to the price.
Version 4 would add the pretty wood layers and many more dollars to the price.

All would use the same CNC program, and the same hardware except for electronics. And lose the confusing V moniker; call it the Thunder EB or something. EB T maybe?

That's my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:19:46 PM by the mojo hobo »

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
Is that the new EB bass?

I like it.