Author Topic: So, are we definitely getting NO basses at all in 2016?  (Read 7745 times)

66Atlas

• View Profile
Re: So, are we definitely getting NO basses at all in 2016?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
One losers conflicted ramblings on The Big Three:

We really are a complaining people.  I mean this sincerely, I feel like I get neglected by the marketing gurus and design department at Gibson....but, if you think about it....in the last 10 years Gibson has offered the following: Thunderbird, SG, NR TBird, Flying V, Les Paul Standard, Les Paul Oversized, Les Paul DC, EB, ES 335, Midtown, Midtown Signature, ES Les Paul, The Bass V (in spirit anyway), Krist Nov Sig, Explorer, babicz bridges, new pickup designs..what did I miss?

And in the same time frame Rickenbacker has offered multiple colors of the same bass. Fender sells billions of color variations of 2 basses (mostly imports) with a couple of one-off designs here and there.

It almost seems like Gibson is trying too hard and still failing. Maybe giving up on basses and selling multiple colors of the same guitar (Les Paul) makes a lot more sense. 

But I hope they don't.  If for no other reason than it gives me something to complain about  ;D

At any rate I can understand the need for some sensible shoes.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:57 PM »
Gibson posted a pic on Facebook of an unfinished headstock back with a 2016 date, and the message "Tomorrow" so I take it that the 2016 line will be announced sometime Wednesday. Of course some have already been in the stores for awhile but maybe we'll have something official about the basses. Maybe.

So vee are not going to zee ze V-Waffe effer?!!!!

Sehr schade. Like Stalingrad, Kursk, D-Day and the Ardennes rolled into one.

I feel depressed now.

Cheer up. Take the money you were going to spend on it and make a worthwhile investment instead. I hear there are many lending opportunities in Greece.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

We really are a complaining people.  I mean this sincerely, I feel like I get neglected by the marketing gurus and design department at Gibson....but, if you think about it....in the last 10 years Gibson has offered the following: Thunderbird, SG, NR TBird, Flying V, Les Paul Standard, Les Paul Oversized, Les Paul DC, EB, ES 335, Midtown, Midtown Signature, ES Les Paul, The Bass V (in spirit anyway), Krist Nov Sig, Explorer, babicz bridges, new pickup designs..what did I miss?

And in the same time frame Rickenbacker has offered multiple colors of the same bass. Fender sells billions of color variations of 2 basses (mostly imports) with a couple of one-off designs here and there.

It almost seems like Gibson is trying too hard and still failing. Maybe giving up on basses and selling multiple colors of the same guitar (Les Paul) makes a lot more sense. 

But I hope they don't.  If for no other reason than it gives me something to complain about  ;D

That's Gibson's secret recipe: Constant and eternal failure breeds desperate creativity! And they never give up!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »

The G-3 re issue may not have been an accurate was super nice :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »
Well, guys, the news is out and it's not good. No basses in the 2016 line announced today: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars.aspx?ModelYear=2016

A Thunderbird is still coming to GC, obviously a reissue of earlier specs, and maybe we'll see more previously discontinued models in that vein.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 05:55:55 PM »
2016: GIBSON'S BEST YEAR EVER

Unless you're a bass player..... :-\
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 01:28:30 AM »
What I said earlier in the 'No basses in 2016'-thread: No basses in 2016  :mrgreen: However Nashville might come up with something in spring.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 09:05:06 AM »
What I said earlier in the 'No basses in 2016'-thread: No basses in 2016  :mrgreen: However Nashville might come up with something in spring.

Yes, you did. I saw no reason to doubt your source, and I still believe it. But when GC showed a pre-2015 TBird coming, and some other discontinued models reappeared on Gibson's website without model year designations, I had reason to believe we might see something reissued, even though it won't be part of the official 2016 lineup. I still think it's a possibility, even though the stock might have been sitting in Gibson's warehouses.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
Dave, I think the pre-2015 models are just that. New old stock. I like that Sweetwater shows pictures of each instrument and identifies each by serial number. They have the pre-2015 Thunderbirds and Midtowns too, and all the serial numbers start with 14.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
According to my source there's enugh in stock, yes. And I was trying to be funny with my remark. Not trying to be a smart ass;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »
Dave, I think the pre-2015 models are just that. New old stock. I like that Sweetwater shows pictures of each instrument and identifies each by serial number. They have the pre-2015 Thunderbirds and Midtowns too, and all the serial numbers start with 14.

Those are definitely NOS but they're at 2014 prices. The Thunderbird that was shown on GC's website as coming in December was at the 2013 price. That's what made me think Gibson might be reissuing some older versions.

But now my link to the GC 'Bird shows "We're sorry—we no longer carry this item." So it was obviously a mistake.

According to my source there's enugh in stock, yes. And I was trying to be funny with my remark. Not trying to be a smart ass;)

I didn't think you were being a smart ass. But now I doubt there's much if anything in their bass warehouse (which is probably the size of a small closet). After all, they sent me a 2015 SG Standard Bass after my SG Faded Special split along the seam b/c they had no Fadeds left.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
I found out why no new basses: Henry is introducing a new game!  :mrgreen:

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 07:38:53 PM »
So vee are not going to zee ze V-Waffe effer?!!!!

I really like the shape of this guitar and I think it could be the basis for a whole line of basses from Gibson.

Version 1 would be plain solid wings and passive electronics with an economy finish like the EB basses and in the same price range.
Version 2 would be upgraded to a high gloss finish and some new custom colors and priced like the 2014 Thunderbirds.
Version 3 would add active electronics and more dollars to the price.
Version 4 would add the pretty wood layers and many more dollars to the price.

All would use the same CNC program, and the same hardware except for electronics. And lose the confusing V moniker; call it the Thunder EB or something.

That's my 2 cents.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
Yeah, except for the awfully cluttered controls, I really liked it too. It was sleek.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »
Definitely too many knobs.