Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...

<< < (149/268) > >>

Dave W:
"designed by Gibson and built by Epiphone in Kalamazoo" isn't accurate. Nothing was built by Epiphone, the company had ceased to exist separately. The Rivoli was the Epi version of an EB-2, nothing more or less.

IIRC Gibson (or CMI, Gibson's parent) bought the whole company for $20,000, including the name, the inventory and parts. The only reason Epi continued to exist as a brand was to market to more dealers without infringing on existing Gibson dealers' territories.

Alanko:
A bit like Marshall and Park?

I've seen those Japanese basses referred to as 'Rivolis' a few times. I figured it was always wishful thinking on the part of the owner or seller. I think the assumption is that the Japanese bass was envisaged as direct replacement for the Rivoli, but I've never seen this verified anywhere.

Pilgrim:
It's pretty clear to me that the name was revived for the second issue, but it has nothing to do with the construction of design of the original Rivolis. They evidently just pasted it onto production line Matsumoku basses.

Based on what I saw online when searching for Rivoli images, it seems to have thoroughly muddied the water, too.  If you're looking for an original style Rivoli, you need to know what you're looking at.

Granny Gremlin:

--- Quote from: Basvarken on January 04, 2018, 02:11:47 PM ---Billy Sheehan on an Epiphone Rivoli and talking about his hero Paul Samwell-Smith

--- End quote ---

The bust on that Rivoli is one of the nicest I have ever seen!

gearHed289:

--- Quote from: Granny Gremlin on January 12, 2018, 05:13:02 PM ---The bust on that Rivoli is one of the nicest I have ever seen!

--- End quote ---

Pretty nice bust on this one, but it's a guitar...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version