Author Topic: 1959 EB-2 Capacitor Question...  (Read 896 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
1959 EB-2 Capacitor Question...
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
I have a 1959 EB-2 one of the early ones with a single coil pickup. Through the "F" hole, I notice years ago that it has two sprague capactors twisted together, soldered to the tone control. One of the wires is broken off of one of the caps, possibly because they were twisted together too tight. I always wondered how much difference it might make if I tried to repair this. Being my oldest bass, I've always figured I'd better leave well enough alone. It sounds good as is, how much better would it sound with both capacitors?  ??? ??? ??? :o
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: 1959 EB-2 Capacitor Question...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:43:33 PM »
Maybe they solder two caps in parallel to get a special value (if you solder caps in parallel you add their capacities).
Since there is only one of the wires broken, that means that only one of the two caps is functioning.
With only one cap functioning you get less capacitance, and less terble cut when your tone control is closed.

I'd say, if this isn't bothering you, leave it. Those basses haven't much treble to roll off anyway! :)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
I'd say, if this isn't bothering you, leave it. Those basses haven't much treble to roll off anyway! :)

Exactly. Adding the other one will move the roll off point down in frequensy. I would'nt bother.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »
I agree. The 1960 EB-2 schematic shows a capacitor value of .04 uF. Assuming that's what they were using in 1959, you now have .02 uF which means the rolloff point is giving you a little more high end. I wouldn't change a thing if you're satisfied with the tone.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the info! I've also wondered if a previous owner may have cut the wire to change the sound a bit... A fifty year old bass is bound to have a couple stories to tell.  :P :P
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!