Author Topic: Les Paul vs. Precision + LP wiring  (Read 728 times)

barend

Les Paul vs. Precision + LP wiring
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:11:19 AM »
I have Les Paul (recording) bass at my home right now. I am thinking of buying it, but I still have some doubt. I think it is a 1970 one (pot codes are 1377019).

Can someone please look ook the pictures of the wiring and electronics? The strange thing is that I get the typical flangy out of phase sound with the knob in phase in position. Seems like the position is reversed.
Also there is a slight difference in volume when using the tone selector. With position 3 being the loudest.

Can someone see something strange in the wiring or some electronical parts that are not original?

Also I am doubting to buy this bass or a Fender Precision. In either case my 1968 EB3 has to go (it is on the second picture). That is why I made a pros and cons list for myself. Curious what you think on that.

LES PAUL:
pros: good and unique sound, lots of sound options, good looks, plays like butter
cons: complicated electronics (too much options), it is heavy, not really a slapbass

PRECISION:
pros: good sound, it is a bass I can use in more situations because I play in many different bands and styles. I like the simplicity of a Precision.
cons: everyone has a Precision so it is not very original or unique.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:17:10 AM by barend »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Les Paul vs. Precision + LP wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 01:28:13 AM »
Looks original to me. As far as I an see from looking at this spaghetti. ;)

The IN OUT phase being reversed is weird but not really a problem is it? As long as you know which is which.

The position 3 being the loudest isn't that weird either. You get more lows and more highs and to your ears that seems like it's louder.

Precision vs Les Paul
Talk about apples and oranges...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »
Hi Barend!
I love Precisions, but you can buy one anytime. Even a good new one. Those LPs are a bit more rare.

barend

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:03:07 AM »
Hey Chris,

yes, that is what crossed my mind too. You don't get the chance too often to buy an LP for a reasonable price. And this one is even in the town where I live.

But I think it will need a new tone selector switch because it has some problems. And I want to have the electronics checked by someone. The bass gives some sounds it is not supposed to give when moving the tone selector switch and the phase switch. I think a new tone selector switch will solve the problems but I am not sure..

Are there no experts in the house who can looks at the picture and tell me if there are some problems with the wiring or parts? I have to decide this week if I am going to buy it. So any reaction on this will be helpful.