Author Topic: 1986 Thunderbird II Custom Shop Edition..  (Read 8136 times)

Lextnc

• View Profile
1986 Thunderbird II Custom Shop Edition..
« on: April 26, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
Guys,
I am Trying to Find out any Info I Can About this Bass..
I Know the Micro switches are aftermarket..
Serial Number is 1986, Custom shop Edition on the back Of the Headstock.. one 1984 Pot, one 1986 pot..

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: 1986 Thunderbird II Custom Shop Edition..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 07:47:29 PM »
Welcome!!! Those are cool basses. I believe the switches May have been added but I don't thick it would hurt the value too much. Is this for sale???

Lextnc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
Thanks Baz, Not Selling it.. This One did 2 CrueFest Tours, and Can Be Seen in several Charm City Devils Videos.. I am Just Trying to find out if it was a One off, or how many Gibson actually Made.. I Spoke with Walter Carter and He is Stumped..
According to Gruhns Book, Gibson Made 40 Thunderbird II's in 1984. This One is Clearly a 86, With one 1984 Pot and one 1986 Pot, and a 1986 Serial Number..

I Have heard that they Made 6 of these in 86.. Just trying to see whatelse I Can Find out..

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:08:29 PM »
I know that bass. I had a chance to buy it around 10 years ago but passed because it was modded with the added mini toggle switches. Still a cool bass.

Sounds like Carter/Gruhn are confusing the years.
Yeah, it is a 1986 Gib Custom Shop TBird II. Those were made as a short run for some Japanese Gibson dealers back then. I own a mint one in the same Polaris White color as your's...all from 1986 I believe. I have also seen them in black and sunburst finishes.

Then in 1987 the same Gibson Custom Shop did a limited run of some TBird IV basses with the same bodies with the large headstocks.

I believe all of the 80s ones used leftover TBird wings from the 70s Bi-Centennial ones. Pretty sure the 86's also used leftover 70s PUPs but the 87 TBird IVs had special black non-Gibson custom pickups made for them by PJ Marx, if I recall. Not the same black pickups that Gibson uses in TBirds since around 1990.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:18:44 AM by mc2NY »

Lextnc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Wow, That's Awesome, and Makes Sense.. The Pickup is Definitely a Bicentennial 3 Screw..
 I have a 76 bicentennial as well.. so I am guessing 40 is the number?
Its in this Video..
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Charm+City+Devils+Unstoppable&&view=detail&mid=654A5E00A9C229B3E42C654A5E00A9C229B3E42C&FORM=VRDGAR

and Like I Said , did 2 Crue fest Tours.. It is a Killer Bass..

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:10 AM »
Cool bass. I wonder what all those switches do? Is there a preamp inside? Battery?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »

Uwe also has one........ (he should repatriate to me!) that was 69 Vette's  OldManC to you young 'uns.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lextnc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:39 AM »
When I Got it, The Switches were not wired up..  the person that did that used an EMG in it.. but had gone back to the stock pickup before I got it..

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »

Uwe also has one........ (he should repatriate to me!) that was 69 Vette's  OldManC to you young 'uns.

What Fräulein Rommel says, George Carlston sold me his and I've had it ever since, can post a pic with it tomorrow. What can I say, it's essentially a Bicentennial with just one pup. Mine sounds more trebly than any of my other TBirds new or old (and I have more than 20), whether you like that sound or find it a bit brittle (output is also somewhat low, so there might be something wrong with the sidewinder) is debatable, it is at least idiosyncratic and with a powerful rig with sufficent headroom you have no issues.

Like the prototype "new generation" TBirds from 1987, this thing still has large headstock and tuners plus the front jack.

AFAIK, this was indeed a Japanese mini series, but might have also wetted Gibson's appetite (back then newly in the hands of a certain Henry J) to give the TBird a full scale reissue in 87/88. And with better pups and fashionable black hardware too!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
(output is also somewhat low, so there might be something wrong with the sidewinder)

This is normal for sidewinders, they aren't a very efficient setup, so their output is lower compared to a normal side-by-side humbucker.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »

Not all '76 pups are low output, the bridge pickup in my green '76 reads 13K, I think Gibson was rather inconsistent in production.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 03:35:19 AM »
But this pup is wound hotter to compensate, normal pups are around 9-10k i believe.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 07:05:33 AM »
I doubt that the outoput on mine is "normal" (i.e. at the lower end of regular production range, maybe there is a loose wiring in the pup somewhere) - it's even less than on my real Bicentennial ("The Bass which came from the Cold") and that is lower than on any of my 60ies or modern day TBirds with one exception: the 1987/88 prototype mentioned above, those soap bars have a real low output too (and hence more clarity when turned up loud). Reading the posting of our New York kid, they could actually be PJ Marx inside (I never thought of that frankly), they sound similar to the PJ Marx split coil I have on my Q-90 bass. Those pups are nothing to write home about, but then the Grabber pups on the predecessor Q-80 sounded grab crap too.

You might ask: "Why don't you get the pup repaired?" "So that it sounds like my other Bicentennial?" would be my reply. I once had a TV-yellow*** EB-0 LP Junior Dave had gracefully sourced for me and it had this one of a kind mudbucker that had hardly any woof but sounded middish and slighty distorted. I liked that sound. Then one day it gave up on me and my luthier repaired what I only then learned was a faulty pick-up - of course it now sounds like any other of my myriad mudbuckers!  :-\ So I'm sticking with my "broken" sidewinder until one day it will totally give up on me - makes me think of Dusty Hill who played for years on his beloved Tele Bass with a broken pup without realizing it, was dismayed about the sound change when it was repaired and then had "broken pups" custom-(badly)wound for himself!  ;D

***There is an interesting story waiting to be told here, but Dave forbids it!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:32:41 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 07:17:55 AM »
When I Got it, The Switches were not wired up..  the person that did that used an EMG in it.. but had gone back to the stock pickup before I got it..

Your bass DEFINITELY came from Japan AROUND 10 years back. I had bought my identical one, also from Japan, just a few days before when your's popped up on EBAY. I didn't realize how rare the 80s TBird II run was at the time or else I probably would have grabbed that one as well. But I stupidly passed because of the mini toggles mod.

I haven't seen another for sale since. Love mine. Great bass.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »

Uwe also has one........

Shouldn't that be the forum motto?  :mrgreen: