Author Topic: Good article about Rockpile  (Read 597 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Good article about Rockpile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 07:14:17 AM »
Comprehensive and illuminating. Dave Edmunds' music is a bit too nostalgic for me, but I love Nick Lowe's wit. "Jesus of Cool" summed it up.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:51:56 PM »
Cool article.It reminded me how much of their music I have listened to!
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 04:22:28 PM »
Nice article indeed... saw them a few times... one time, I think I saw them supporting Wishbone Ash, iirc... they were a great band live too... recently found a tour shirt of theirs in the (Rock) pile of old tee's I have... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
Comprehensive and illuminating. Dave Edmunds' music is a bit too nostalgic for me, but I love Nick Lowe's wit. "Jesus of Cool" summed it up.

Dave Edmunds' music harks back to early rock 'n' roll. You're just nostalgic for a different era.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 08:30:03 AM »
OBJECTION, YOUR HONOUR! Nostalgia is only part of my music taste (ignore the lifelong Deep Purple crush for a moment!). It is true that I still like everything (literally) I used to like as music as a teen, but I've added loads of stuff to it over the decades (quite a bit of it thanks to what I see and hear on this forum). I buy a lot of releases of new bands too, though you can probably say that it mostly has a basis in rock.

The striking thing of the music period of, say, 1967 to 1977 was for me that so many bands back then felt no inhibition to experiment. And, admittedly, I dig improvisation/a solo if it takes you on a journey. Both aspects have been pushed into the background since the late 70ies though there are exceptions to the rule: While no Metallica fan, I admire how they have morphed from a thrash metal outfit into the "beyond-metal-audience"-behemoth they are today that is still unafraid to take chances. To me, Metallica is artistically braver than REM, U2, Bruce Springsteen or AC/DC. In that way they are 70ies-ish. And I'm writing that even though there are way more REM, U2, Bruce Springsteen and AC/DC songs I like than ones by Metallica.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:36:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...