Author Topic: Peelings. Wo-oh-oh-ooo peelings... (BaCH NR and a stripper)  (Read 38228 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Peelings. Wo-oh-oh-ooo peelings... (BaCH NR and a stripper)
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
Oh man- thanks for the kind words, all!  Its back hanging out in the garage now, and once I get it cut/buffed out and assembled, I'll take some better photos of it.

The ReRanch supplies worked out great.  I'm really happy with the results, thanks in large part to all the great advice here and on the internetz.  I was having nightmares of bad Krylon butcher jobs when I started out, but the rattle cans came through in the end. 

@Hollowbody- the wait is gonna be a killer!  I purposely avoided playing this in its previous form so I wouldn't get too attached to it.  I played it at one rehearsal- just long enough to be convinced that all this effort was justified.  I'm really looking forward to gigging it!

@Pilgrim- I had a '69 EB-0 for a while, and had a pelham blue refin in mind for that.  It had a nicely repaired p-bass pickup route and neck heel break - would have made a great refin candidate!  After a while, though, I realized it was a little too redundant with my EB-3 and sold it to fund some other gear.  I still think EBs look great in that color!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2009, 06:43:31 PM »
Oh man- thanks for the kind words, all!  Its back hanging out in the garage now....

GARAGE!? Oh, wait you live in Arizona - no humidity to slow down the cure :-[  I've always hung my bodies in my office closet to dry so that they wouldn't get damp and would have an even temp to cure.

Regardless, that 'bird is the bomb ;D

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2009, 01:28:20 AM »
GARAGE!? Oh, wait you live in Arizona - no humidity to slow down the cure :-[  I've always hung my bodies in my office closet to dry so that they wouldn't get damp and would have an even temp to cure.

Regardless, that 'bird is the bomb ;D

I have it in a climate controlled utility room just off the garage, so that should at least help minimize the temp changes.  We've been back up hitting ~100 degrees during the days - summer's here again!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2009, 06:22:54 AM »
I love it!  Nice job!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »

It must be a difference in the light, but the color in the first two shots is quite different than the color of the finished bass.  Is it the light?  Or perhaps that the first shots didn't have all the color coats in place?  Or both?

And can you please remind me of the name of that color?  I think it's ReRanch's Lake Placid Blue....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »
There's been a lot of talk at RR in the past that UV exposure would advance the natural yellowing of nitro finishes - where you live into a few afternoons of expsoure to the AZ sun would speed the process ;)

I still can't get over at just how great this came out :o

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »
yeah that looks great!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
ab fab!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2009, 12:11:30 PM »
It must be a difference in the light, but the color in the first two shots is quite different than the color of the finished bass.  Is it the light?  Or perhaps that the first shots didn't have all the color coats in place?  Or both?

And can you please remind me of the name of that color?  I think it's ReRanch's Lake Placid Blue....

All of those shots are post clear-coat.  The balance of greens and blues does seem to change a lot depending on the lighting conditions.

The color I used was RR's Fender Ocean Turquoise.  Note that you can also buy nitro lacquer colors in rattle cans from Tower Paint - http://www.towerpaint.com.  They're more expensive, but they could provide an exacting match for pelham, inverness, etc...  I propbably would have gone that route had this color not come available at RR.  LPB is cool, but was a little too dark for what I was going for here.

I took the bass outside just now and snapped a couple shots under natural light (well technically, under a big umbrella in natural light).  I'll get some good shots once its done - but this will give you an idea of the color shifting.  You can see the green-hues coming out again here:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:39:19 PM by chromium »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
I think part of the color shift is the orientation of the metallic particles in the final coat...they change the reflective quality of the light depending on the angle viewed.

That phenomenon is a pain to car painters when they have to do a single panel like a door or fender - the color can look different from adjacent panels because the orientation of the metallic changes the way it reflects light.

Man, the body on that bass is chromalicious!

Thanks for the reminder on the color.  If I get the EB-0 I have my eye on, it will probably become either Lake Placid Blue or Ocean Turquoise.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
That turned out nice

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2009, 04:31:01 AM »
ABsolutely stunning!  Nice work!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:24 AM »
Well done! That is a thing of beauty!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2009, 08:04:25 AM »
I think part of the color shift is the orientation of the metallic particles in the final coat...they change the reflective quality of the light depending on the angle viewed.

That phenomenon is a pain to car painters when they have to do a single panel like a door or fender - the color can look different from adjacent panels because the orientation of the metallic changes the way it reflects light.

Man, the body on that bass is chromalicious!

Thanks for the reminder on the color.  If I get the EB-0 I have my eye on, it will probably become either Lake Placid Blue or Ocean Turquoise.

I know some paints look completely different under different types of lighting (florescent, etc..) Sun light is always the best

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2009, 08:14:17 AM »
what a wonderfull looking colour! Me like it!