Author Topic: So the City denied me a permit to cut down a tree last year...  (Read 4083 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: So the City denied me a permit to cut down a tree last year...
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 12:50:36 PM »
Thanks to Jake I am now aware of a creature called "arborist". :P My neighbour has a giant tree (dont know what, maybe a poplar) that drops limbs. So far no people (or cars!) are hurt, but maybe I'll have to call autorities and ask what can be done with this leafy behemoth.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
Thanks to Jake I am now aware of a creature called "arborist". :P My neighbour has a giant tree (dont know what, maybe a poplar) that drops limbs. So far no people (or cars!) are hurt, but maybe I'll have to call autorities and ask what can be done with this leafy behemoth.

I suspect preventive pruning will be very helpful.  I have a silver maple in my side yard and it drops small branches a lot - I've had a couple of cars dented.  Now I don't park under it for more than a few minutes, and never on windy days or days where there is a snow load on the branches.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 05:50:29 PM »
Yep, the left tree that didn't fall is a Silver Maple. The one on the right that fell is a Tree of Heaven ( a weed that turns into a shifty large weak tree on account of insane growth rate; not even good enough for a tone wood). It produces a stupid amount of seed clusters and spreads voraciously. There's a neighbor with 3 that I warned to remove and now are little trees, but no more than 3-5 years old. Another neighbor has 2 older daughters of my bitch.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 10:12:26 PM »
Yep, the left tree that didn't fall is a Silver Maple. The one on the right that fell is a Tree of Heaven ( a weed that turns into a shifty large weak tree on account of insane growth rate; not even good enough for a tone wood). It produces a stupid amount of seed clusters and spreads voraciously. There's a neighbor with 3 that I warned to remove and now are little trees, but no more than 3-5 years old. Another neighbor has 2 older daughters of my bitch.

That sounds as bad as our problems here with the box elder (Acer negundo), a weed tree that's the psychotic cousin of maple.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
Lovely turn of phrase there, Dave!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
I thought Jake's description of his neighbor's trees as "daughters of my bitch" was better.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 02:14:54 AM »
I thought Jake's description of his neighbor's trees as "daughters of my bitch" was better.

LOL I didn't know if that was a misspell or not, so I chose not to say anything "smart"....... :D
OTOH "son of a birch" sounds almost equally hilarious, I may use that! :P
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »
Naw, the birch is in the front and I love it (the street in Krakow I was born on literally translates as Birch St... it was the icing on the cake when we bought the place.... yes I am a nostalgic sap).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)