Author Topic: 2013 ExplorerBird...there's gold on them thar basses.  (Read 15137 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: 2013 ExplorerBird...there's gold on them thar basses.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 06:58:08 PM »

In green with a blocked, bound lefty J neck  ;)

You need to post that in here    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/bass-who-tribute-946845/

Thanks for the heads up, Mark!  I'm out of the guy's price range by quite a bit.  I will be posting the build over there when I get around to it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:16:01 PM by dadagoboi »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
Looking great! Love these build pictorials. I wish I had the time and patience...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »
Looking great! Love these build pictorials. I wish I had the time and patience...

Thanks, Tom.  I always had a lot of patience when I was young, hours spent building model planes and cars, then designing and building furniture after giving up the Rock n Roll dream.  After closing down my design business my ability to concentrate seemed to be going.  Short term memory was slipping.  When I started building basses an hour of steady concentration was about it.  I'm a lot better now...but how can I be sure about the memory part?;D  No cable or broadcast TV frees up a lot of time for me.

Anyway, I'm having fun and making some money.  I've joked with a number of old friends that I wish I had started building basses when I stopped playing instead of going into the furniture business. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Insata-GAS! Dammit Carlo. And I hate gold hardware but for this I'd make a exception.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
Ker-ching...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:39 PM »
Here's the setup I use to set rough intonation.  This used to take about 2 hours when I first started building, now it's usually just a routine check.  It used to be, "WTF went wrong?" and lots of head scratching.

Just about ready for paint, pup covers still have plastic on them.

Tomorrow I'll drill for the bridge studs and pup wires, sand bodies and shoot sealer.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »
Wow, breathtaking.  You just keep getting better with each bass.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »

Thanks, Bill.  It's getting easier.  Having Steve as a resource and collaborator has been a tremendous help.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 06:20:34 PM »

I agree and it seems like leaps and bounds!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
fooeee that looks really good!
Louder bass!.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:05 AM »
I love natural finishes and think I might lean that way in my future builds.  This one is a knockout.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 10:03:45 AM »
Man, that looks nice!  And I absolutely loathe gold hardware! ;D

I agree with the doc - nice hunk of wood.  I would be tempted to pull of a trans-orange finish on the one you're keeping.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
Here's the setup I use to set rough intonation.  This used to take about 2 hours when I first started building, now it's usually just a routine check.  It used to be, "WTF went wrong?" and lots of head scratching.

Just about ready for paint, pup covers still have plastic on them.

Tomorrow I'll drill for the bridge studs and pup wires, sand bodies and shoot sealer.

Please describe your intonation setup for us and how it works!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
Bill, you asked about the ballpark intonation setup.  Here it is with stud anchor drilling procedure:

My other body front templates have the proper bridge mounting hole positions drilled in them as well as the pup routes.  These were taken off the back 'master template' which involved a lot of trial and error.

You can see where a line crosses the body centerline and 4 holes are drilled.  the smaller two were for a previous bridge version and the larger 2 are for the current one which uses #14 wood screws.  The white is where holes were filled with plastic dowels and redrilled when they weren't correct

I line up a front body template with the pup routes and body centerline and use a transfer punch to dimple the body.  Excuse the crazy angle of the picture.

Tailpiece gets located with center screw on centerline.  The two dimples get connected with a line.  Tailpiece is lined up parallel to the line and outboard screw holes drilled and filled.  Bridge with E and G saddles moved to extreme positions is lined up with dimples.  Bass gets strung and tuned.  Tension holds down the bridge.  I check intonation, I want to be slightly sharp on the G and flat on the E.

Drilling for the bridge starts with a 3/8" brad point bit to get the most accuracy.  Center hole is for ground wire.  Tape on bit is a depth stop.

Then a  15/32" HSS bit which centers itself on the 3/8" hole for the metric anchor.

And finally a very shallow counterbore to allow the collar of the anchor to be flush with the top of the body using a 9/16" HSS, being careful to make sure it centers itself.

Done

The cutouts in the bridge channel are big enough to allow the entire bridge to be relocated slightly fore or aft .  Height adjustment is done by the saddles, not the studs.  Their only function is to hold the bridge tight to the body for increased sustain, magical tone, amazing clarity and maximum potency.  Your mileage may vary.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
Man, that looks nice!  And I absolutely loathe gold hardware! ;D

I agree with the doc - nice hunk of wood.  I would be tempted to pull of a trans-orange finish on the one you're keeping.

Thanks!  It's tempting.  I just ordered a few hundred dollars worth of mahogany, I'm sure I'll be doing a natural one sometime.