Gear Discussion Forums > Guitars Etc.

Guitar question ('72 Tele Thinline RI)

<< < (2/3) > >>

exiledarchangel:
If you change the pots to 500k you'll get some treble bite, thats why almost all manufacturers use them on humbuckers, and put 250k on single coils to tame a bit their shrilling highs.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: exiledarchangel on November 06, 2008, 11:47:50 AM ---If you change the pots to 500k you'll get some treble bite, thats why almost all manufacturers use them on humbuckers, and put 250k on single coils to tame a bit their shrilling highs.

--- End quote ---

That's what "they" say, just like "they" say to always use audio taper pots. Yet Gibson has used 300K linear taper volume pots on its humbucker guitars for 35 years now. And the series humbucking split Precision Bass pickup uses 250K pots and has plenty of treble. Go figure.

Fender voiced this guitar to sound a certain way, and they used 250K pots to get that sound. It wasn't a mistake. No doubt the guys on Harmony Central know better, all because the mysterious "they" say to use 500K pots with humbucker.

Maybe, just maybe, the manufacturers know to use the pots that best fit the frequency range of the pickup.

Bass VI:
The Wiki page here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Wide_Range describes the differences between the originals and the reissues fairly acurately. IIRC the second generation Telecaster bass pickup was the jumbo version of the guitar pickup. The tone that Chris' GF is fond of is probably the result of the Thinlines' semi hollow body, as the current RI p/u is just a humbucker in Fender clothing. This would account for a tone much like her Sheraton, as it's essentially the same thing. I tend to agree that switching the pots would be more of an experiment than anything else.

:toast:

Scott ( BassVI )

Dave W:
FWIW, here's the innards of an original cunife magnet Tele Bass II pickup.

Chris P.:
I have a spare '72 bass humbucker and a Squier RI. I can check 'm out once.

Thanks again for all the answers.

Dave: You're right by telling about manufacturers knowing which things to use. But you also know some cheaper guitars and basses can sound much better with better pots or other parts. That's why I was curious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version