Author Topic: SoCal Pool Party  (Read 65 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
SoCal Pool Party
« on: May 07, 2024, 02:09:35 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/07/bears-house-pool-los-angeles-california

Goes to show that male gay couples are just more appreciative of the needs of a single mom with two children and no swimming pool!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
Re: SoCal Pool Party
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 03:00:17 PM »
I’ve come across bears on the West Coast and up north in the Yukon. The cubs are around this time of year and mamma bear is protective , so one has to be careful. I have a sister-in-law that lives in Squamish , and also has a fishing camp close to Carcross.

Beautiful places , but lots of bears.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 04:25:47 PM »
She doesn't seem to be aggressive, just inquisitive, but with two cubs to protect that can of course change quickly. But as long as the human inhabitants stay on their side of the window, all seems to be well, give or take periodic re-purchases of pool floats obviously not designed to withstand brown bear claws and teeth.

I've seen black bears this oblivious to human civilization, but not brown bears (I've learned that a Grizzly is a brown bear sub-species, but Californian Grizzlies as another sub-species are extinct, so she and her cubs are brown bears, not Grizzlies).

If this happened in Germany in the few regions where we still have brown bears a state of national emergency would have already been called.  :mrgreen: West Coast relaxation about things can be admirable sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 04:38:48 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 12:15:24 AM »
Scotland has been bear-free since the middle ages, though somebody is always planning to bring them back!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 04:56:27 AM »
I’ve been told that as long as grizzleys have an escape route they will generally leave you alone , but many of the black bears had become garbage hounds and were unpredictable.
Also met a native woman who was a guide. A bear had attacked two German tourists one was badly mangled , she beat the bear off with a folding shovel , and carried him back to be looked after. She was about five foot two.
Bear paws are frightening looking things , one swipe would easily rip your face off.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 06:45:17 AM »
Wait until they go in the pool.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023