Author Topic: EB-0 wiring help  (Read 13137 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: EB-0 wiring help
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »
Damn, I was hoping I found the mistake. I'm out of ideas Al, maybe this model one is cursed to work only full-bore. Who knows?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »
Well, don't feel bad.  I'm still making some kind of mistake even though I've removed the push-pull pots from the circuit.  here's what I have now...and it STILL turns the volume off when I turn down EITHER pot...and what's more, when I touch the cover for the mudbucker, I get static.  Seems like there's another ground wire needed.

Stepping back, since whenever I turn either pickup down it turns down the volume of both pickups, it seems like they're wired in series...so that either pot can kill the circuit.  I really thought this was wiring in parallel so the volume pots can work independently.

Does anyone see what basic mistake I'm making?  This seems SO SIMPLE......but right now it sounds like crap and I can't balance the pickups wth the volume controls.  Frustration is setting in.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:07:57 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
No, the diagram is ok, maybe one of the pickups (or both) has some grounding problems?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 01:28:12 PM »
i am not an expert on wiring but it occurred to me that those pickups might be loading each other in your present parallel configuration. if it were me, i would 1) mock up a wiring loom on some plywood (so i couild switch configurations easily while on a bench) and 2) go for a wired together Dimarzio with a three position pickup switch and about a 47k resistor between each volume pot and the switch to keep them from loading one another. this value should not let you lose any appreciable volume but it should be enough to keep the pups from loading one another. a 100k of resistance shouldn't be any bother to a high impedence amp.

AND i would ask PBG.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:09 PM »
i am not an expert on wiring but it occurred to me that those pickups might be loading each other in your present parallel configuration. if it were me, i would 1) mock up a wiring loom on some plywood (so i couild switch configurations easily while on a bench) and 2) go for a wired together Dimarzio with a three position pickup switch and about a 47k resistor between each volume pot and the switch to keep them from loading one another. this value should not let you lose any appreciable volume but it should be enough to keep the pups from loading one another. a 100k of resistance shouldn't be any bother to a high impedence amp.

AND i would ask PBG.

Hmmm...I wonder if I could just insert a 47K resistor in the output wire of each pickup between it and the jack...?  I'm reluctant to pull the pickups, as that would be required to breadboard the setup.  A good idea, but I'm reluctant to take that step since the wires are hard to pull through the channels.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
i would try it. i was not telling you to pull the pups but i was thinking of extending some wires and ground wires on a temp basis. good point, too much work about feeding wires through a small opening. if you would pull the pups then you would not be able to test it live.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Cool.  Might do that!

I will also PM PGB and see if he has any ideas.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »
if it works and you still have a hummm, then i would ask PBG about how to determine if that Dimarzio is in phase and i would also check the Bucker to see if it has ever been "spliced". also ask him about the value of the resistors. i would try it your way first to save yourself any extra work.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »
I didn't follow what you were trying to do with the push-pull pot, but the way you have it now, don't you need to wire it like a standard J with the hot going to the center lug? This should make each volume control independent again.

See http://www.axesrus.com/images/BASS1.jpg and omit the tone control.

Also see http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Misc/i-4000/i-4000_4.html : "Reversed (Jazz Bass) wiring for independent control of volume."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 08:48:24 PM »
Dave, I think your last link explains it well.  I haven't seen that option for wiring before - but it will be easy to try.  Looks like a winner.

I'll give that configuration a try tomorrow evening.  Getting late tonight....

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »
Original stack pot Jazz wiring.  Note resistors to eliminate 'crosstalk' and other voodoo. Would something like this be helpful?  Works great on my stack pots to make volumes and tones completely independent.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »
Sounds like the combination of wiring change and resistors if needed will get it done!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 05:59:17 AM »
I like stack pots in a 2 pup configuration to get the max sound possibilities in a compact layout.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
I like stack pots in a 2 pup configuration to get the max sound possibilities in a compact layout.

I like 'em too and may end up going that way eventually.  For the moment I'm trying to stay with the two Gibby high-hat knobs.  If I can't get what I want out of this setup without the tone controls, going stack-knob makes sense.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »
I like 'em too and may end up going that way eventually.  For the moment I'm trying to stay with the two Gibby high-hat knobs.  If I can't get what I want out of this setup without the tone controls, going stack-knob makes sense.

Here's hoping you'll get what you want out of the 2 vol setup.  I have 1 vol, 1 tone and a 3 way switch on my converted EBO and usually keep the tone maxed and both pups on.