Author Topic: How to break glue bond?  (Read 4134 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
How to break glue bond?
« on: March 27, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
I'm actually trying to work on the Aria bass I got that's the predecessor of the Hi-flyer.  It appears that when I re-glued the top half of the fretboard (it was loose) I may not have gotten out all the old glue.  As a result, one side of the fretboard is just a bit higher than the other and there is a tiny gap between the rosewood and the neck on that side.  I may or may not be able to live with the result.

I used Titebond to glue it - can heat or other measures be used to soften that glue?  I think it would be wisest to remove the freatboard and re-glue it - although I really am not that enthusiastic about the idea.

I will archive advice received for the possibility that I'll have to remove the fretboard......sigh.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: How to break glue bond?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »
Original Titebond should release with heat alone.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
I was holping that was the case.  I recalled that the Hon. Dr. Bassman gave that me that advice, so I did use Titebond.

Are we talking heat-shrink-gun hot, or blow-drier hot, or heat-lamp hot? 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
Take care because a fretboard is relatively thin and the glue joint is long. I would use heat gun (paint stripper) and heat sections of the glue line while heating the blade of a putty knife at the same time to gently insert and separate the boards. By using a hot knife blade you won't have to heat a thin board as much. That will lower the risk of warping or heat damage.

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
Are we talking heat-shrink-gun hot, or blow-drier hot, or heat-lamp hot?

Heat guns can be tricky, might be too hot and you can scorch things ( finish and the like ) Stew-Mac make a fingerboard heating iron
  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Neck,_fingerboard/Bridge_Heater_and_Fingerboard_Iron.html

that you heat on a hot plate and concentrates the heat on a four or five fret area, once you have a section loose you can move up or down the neck until you work the whole fingerboard loose. I've got one and it works quite well. I also notice the price (?) I think mine was about half that!

You could also try an electric iron, use a stip of aluminum to distribute the heat, not exactly sure what setting to use....let's see, rayon, linen, rosewood, wool? I think a medium setting would be fairly safe, adjusting as needed to soften the Titebond.

BTW a very thin putty knife ( very thin ) or one of S-Ms' seam knives will help alot too.

Good Luck as always,

Scott ( BassVI )

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:32:21 AM »
Gee, I get busy for a few nights and look what I miss!  A hot iron, like Stew-Mac sells, would probably be safer.  The thin knife also is a good bet.  I'd be afraid to use my heat gun for fear over overheating things.

Of all the things I've done, this is still something I've not had to tackle.  Let us know how it goes. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:26:11 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:59 AM »
Yeah, the heat gun is a great tool but I'm not so sure that would be my tool of choice for getting glue to release. It would be way to easy to bubble up any finish or release glue in the surrounding area :o
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »
I'll take another, closer look at the situation this weekend.  If I'm forced to take on this repair (not sure yet), the Stew-Mac tool looks like it has one significant difference from a carefully adjusted and temperature-checked conventional iron: it's radiused to fit the fretboard. Of course, that gives the cheapie in me some ideas.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:51:18 AM by Pilgrim »

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
One trick I use to get the Titebond or white glue off of the disassembled pieces is to mix up one part ammonia to two parts water and apply it to the pieces.  Usually I'll dampen a paper towel and lay it over the pieces until it turns white and then I use a razor blade to scrape it off.  Sometimes I use it in conjunction with heat and squirt minute amounts under the fingerboard with a needle bottle ahead of my palette knife.

I then to clean up the moisture ASAP to prevent the surfaces from warping.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
Very cool!  I'm stockpiling this info....

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
Just found this directly related thread, complete with pictures, on TB...thought it might be helpful to others...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517907