Author Topic: HAH! I rock! (Cyber-chest-pounding included...)  (Read 3812 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: HAH! I rock! (Cyber-chest-pounding included...)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Win-win, in a round-about way...

My buddy is a CUBE fan and I had a spare 500gb drive to upgrade it for him (older model and cannot go as high as recognising the full capacity but it was IDE, so...) - connected up his existing and copied over everything to the new drive via USB1, literally drag-and-drop, took the cube apart and loaded the new drive in its bay, turned it back on and voila, nice big new drive...

Try doing that with a PC...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »
"Ah feel yore pain!"

My experience is that restoring things from backups is a messy process unless one is highly methodical - which I am not.  I've had to do a couple of recoveries and I always end up with some extra files I don't need to transfer but not sure what to do with.  But now that drives are so cheap that it doesn't make sense to install anything under 1 TB, there's room for everything.

I'm still working on my project.  I have a new hard drive but can't get the previous system's recovery discs to run.  I've put the original HD back in the freezer and I'll try installing it and doing a fast file transfer.  If that works I'll have the OS in a new functional 1 TB hard drive and I can transfer my other files at leisure.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:32:49 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
A piece of advice - run two drives and store your info off the primary - I don't mean a split single drive -  a completely separate HDD - the OS runs the primary (C) drive almost all the time so an internal (D/E/F) drive will only be running part of the time, so stands a better chance of survival... just my opinion...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:15:37 AM »
All I can say is ....... McGyver.

;D
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
My experience is that restoring things from backups is a messy process unless one is highly methodical - which I am not.  I've had to do a couple of recoveries and I always end up with some extra files I don't need to transfer but not sure what to do with.  But now that drives are so cheap that it doesn't make sense to install anything under 1 TB, there's room for everything.

Here's a backup/imaging tool that's been helpful for me:  http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

With that, you can setup rolling incremental backups to catch any new or changed files and the interface to restore stuff is really nice.  I also use it to create images of the systems so I can re-pave them back to a known good state when/if Windoze starts getting twitchy.  Ideally, you'd use it to backup files to a separate physical disk (that disk could be internal, USB, across a network to another system...).

A lot of the newer PCs have RAID (redundant array of inexpensive disks) capabilities built right onto their motherboards, and this  can be leveraged to mirror a disk (mirroring is referred to as raid-1).  This way if one drive fails, the system remains running along off the mirror.  Then you can swap out the bad drive, the system repopulates it, and so on...  I have a central system setup with RAID that I use to store all the data, files, photos, music, school stuff, backups, etc... and then my laptops and desktops just map network drives to that - so it looks like a local disk, but its really being stored off on this robust linux system.  You can buy little RAID network disk appliances that do this exact same thing and are easy to setup - just connect them into your home network and configure it via a simple web browser menu-type interface:

http://www.frys.com/product/6255620?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Its obviously more costly up front to do that (not to mention geeky :)), but man does it make swapping out or re-imaging desktop systems easy.  That's where I've always had most of my grief...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:25 AM »
I have heard about that trick but never tried to see if it really works, glad that worked for you Al! Today I sent 2 hard drives back to Dell for replacement, RIP...
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
i hate computers...  i have spent to many lost hours on hold for an IT call center in asia waiting for help.  I will never get that time back....   All my new purchases for 2 kids and my wife have been macs....  I am stuck with all the old dells and they are a constant pain.  I actually spent all day saturday trying to rescue a failed hard drive.  Couldn't get past the blue screen of death for last month.  Finally gave in and bought new (used) hard drive off feebay.  Installed it and it worked ok but because it was a dell o/s disk many of the drivers are not on the disk.  Tried for hours to download drivers to no avail.  then it hit me.  the old crashed hard drive had all the drivers somwhere on it.  I was able to hook up the old drive inplace of one of the my cd/dvd drives  and i was able to find the drivers.....  lets hear it for finally getting something.     
Now it works fine and i am back to using this old machine for burning dvd's .  thanks to pirate bay i have a rather large collection of tv shows and movies that one of these days,  probably when i retire in 6 years or  sooner if GE bags me,  I will actually get a chance to watch some stuff that i never got around too the first time because i was out partying/playing/working/etc.....

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 12:45:04 PM »
I'm getting all kinds of good ideas from this thread.

Some projects just won't die, they just keep spinning off complications.

"No good deed goes unpunished."
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 01:13:54 PM »
Couldn't get past the blue screen of death for last month.

Trinity Rescue Kit is a handy tool for stuff like this- and its free.  It has helped me out on a number of occasions:

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT____CPR_FOR_YOUR_COMPUTER&front_id=12&lang=en&locale=en

You burn it to a CD and boot up off of it, and it gives you a menu of options to do stuff like mount the drives and get files off (to USB drive or whatever...), virus scan the drive and extract any malware, share the drives over the network so you can transfer stuff easily to a new system, and so on...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
The platters make nice wind-chimes too...

Nice links... ta, Joe...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 06:45:29 PM »
So i took the easy way out.  Found a new, unopened Windows 7 Home Premium with COA on Ebay for $80.  That's cheaper than I can load an old OS and upgrade it....and a lot less messin' around. 

This time next week I'll have an upgraded machine with a 1 TB drive and Win7.