Author Topic: He has a way with words  (Read 612 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: He has a way with words
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 08:16:03 PM »
Johnny in Malibu? I thought he wasn't the Holidays in the Sun type ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 04:46:16 AM »
^^^ video unavailable. Holidays In The Sun?

Johnny has lived in Malibu since the early 80s.

His wife Nora passed away from Alzheimer's last week.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 09:15:18 AM »
Yeah, of course that number.

I knew about his wife's dementia, not her death, RIP. I didn't know that he lived in California of all places, anathema to everything he once stood for. But you're allowed to change and prefer Californian warmth to English rain. Lydon is a perceptive and acerbic mind, always has been. The ole Gong/Hawkwind fan.

My son has been living and working in CA now for a few years - living in Topanga, working in Venice, fashion design with Nick Fouquet, the hatmaker. Whenever he sends me pictures of him and the 20- to 40-year-olds-fashion-music-arts-crowd he hangs out/mingles with, I swear it is like it was 1967 all over again - a CA historic culture as time-encapsulated in Tarantino's Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. They don't just dress up to look the part, they live it (+ the amenities of 21 century life of course). Now I am aware how that is only a hardly representative microcosm of creatives, but it still has me regularly rubbing my eyes, they all look like from a pilot of a Netflix or HBO series set in late sixties West Coast life.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 12:52:21 PM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 12:12:36 AM »
I watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" mostly because Margaret Qualley is in it.  I liked her a lot in "Io" and wanted to see her in another movie.  "Io" is a sci-fi movie which even the majority of sci-fi fans don't like very much.  It's bleak, but that's part of what it's supposed to be about.  "Io" isn't even on DVD as far as I know.  The "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" DVD, on the other hand, is out there and full of bonus features, etc.  I think it was the cultural authenticity which got my attention the most.  It definitely is very much a "time-encapsulated" movie.  I like the way Tarantino embraced that, but at the same time became very creative and told his own story the way he wanted. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 06:24:19 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation, I remember seeing a trailer of Io (we didn't have Netflix yet at the time), but then forgetting about it. Gonna view it tonight! I like her acting too, she's varied.

I had also forgotten she is Andie MacDowell's daughter.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:54:55 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 12:00:24 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, I remember seeing a trailer of Io (we didn't have Netflix yet at the time), but then forgetting about it. Gonna view it tonight! I like her acting too, she's varied.

I had also forgotten she is Andie MacDowell's daughter.

It is easy to forget Margaret Qualley is Andie MacDowell's daughter.  Both are unassuming and authentic, though.  Io isn't something that's going to appeal to everyone.  But I think Margaret did an excellent job in it.  It's too bad her efforts are somewhat unappreciated.  Whether it's intentional or not, it's existential sci-fi.  I think Camus would have enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:20:32 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 06:41:28 AM »
I really liked it! It was beautifully poetic with its feminist mythological-maternal undercurrent of only woman having nurturing patience with/love for a wounded Earth (when all men want to desert it with pie in the sky dreams of establishing life on other planets) and giving humankind hope back. In essence a chamber play, but then so are a lot of the best SciFi movies. (I also learned that Leda wasn't just sodomizing with that swan,

but that it was ole Zeus in feathers! Is this still part of the curriculum of Florida schools btw?!)

Existentialism, Albert Camus ... wow, we haven't had those two in a thread yet ... Michael, you're elevating this forum of fora beyond compare!  :toast:

I think I'm gonna watch The Maid mini series next.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 08:21:17 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 09:17:24 AM »
Ingmar Bergman and Carl Theodor Dreyer are two of my favorite directors.  So I guess it's not surprising that the chamber play format is something I lean toward.  That preference is unintentional, though. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 09:37:03 AM »
You're not the only fan.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 09:23:06 PM »
I read somewhere that Bergman was a little puzzled that people seemed to think so highly of his movies.  I think part of it is he felt he was getting more credit than he deserved.  But things turned out well, whether he planned every detail or not.  An example is this dramatic ending of "The Seventh Seal" which wasn't even in the script, but Bergman spontaneously decided to do the scene.  It became an iconic part of the movie. 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 02:57:07 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 04:09:25 AM »
I did binge-watch the first four episodes of Maid last night, it's an amazing series on a young single mother battling against poverty to change her and her daughter's life, and I'm not writing "white trash" because Alex, the main protagonist, obviously isn't, she just leads an existence against the odds. And Margaret Qualley puts on a great, deep performance. As the daughter of a film star she cannot have led anything but an entitled life, but she plays Alex so well and without any broad cliché strokes (or prosthetics/theater makeup for a perceived underclass look) either. I also like how none of the other roles take the easy way out, the "only lightly", but sufficiently abusive boyfriend, whose abuse she initially denies and who does actually try to be a better person, her sometimes charming, but unfit for life/irresponsible hippie/failed artist mother (played by her real mother, Andie MacDowell, like you haven't seen her before) or the wealthy people she cleans houses for who aren't just plain nasty or callous, but very often caught up in their own (albeit non-economic) despair. A really remarkable watch.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 04:18:46 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 10:17:13 PM »
"Maid" looks like it would be a great series!

--Blaise Pascal