Author Topic: Burt Bacharach  (Read 952 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Burt Bacharach
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 11:16:41 PM »
Saw elsewhere that most of Gene Pitney's big hits were Bacharach/David songs, including 24 Hours From Tulsa, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Only Love Can Break A Heart, Fool Killer, and True Love Never Runs Smooth. If I ever knew this, I had forgotten.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
At one point years ago, I was surprised to learn that The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance wasn't the theme song for that movie. But that is one of the great movies. 

The famous signature line resonates today more than ever: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Some very interesting insight into that scene, and the book which was the source.....

https://sevencircumstances.com/2018/06/15/the-mystery-of-the-misquoted-quote-from-the-man-who-shot-liberty-valance/#:~:text=When%20the%20legend%20becomes%20fact,sounds%20so%20convincing%20and%20humanistic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:59:08 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2023, 10:59:29 PM »
Yeah, I saw the movie shortly after the song came out and wondered about that. Then I read that the song was "inspired by the movie."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 05:22:08 AM »
You can hear it via the chorus. Someone up there must be cynical for a band like Love to never have made it. Everybody's favorite cult band.
Prison slowed that down a bit.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 06:23:50 AM »
It did (several times, but his last sentence for negligent discharge of a firearm was reversed, yet cost him 5 1/2 years prison time) , but Arthur Lee had a nice and deserved cult comeback/rediscovery originating in the UK after the millennium. By all accounts not an easy man to get along with, he could only bask shortly in that late glow of his career before succumbing to leukemia in 2006.

I can't pretend to have known him or the band before, my only previous exposure to Love music had been - figures for Uwe the heavy rock kid - the largely faithful UFO cover from Lights Out in 1977

and the likewise not straying far from the original one from The Damned 10 years later.

I only jumped the train when Mojo magazine began to rave about him after he resumed touring after his prison release. I always liked the haunting quality of the tune (I'm surprised that Lana Del Rey has not yet done a cover of it). Of course the whole Forever Changes album is great.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 06:32:39 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 08:55:10 AM »
Dionne Warwick was always a guilty pleasure.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2023, 09:34:44 AM »
Why guilty? I thought she was/is great even when not doing Bacharach.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:53:57 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 02:36:38 PM »
I went to a Rat Pack reenactment show in Vegas. Afterward stopped ar a small bar near the show....the Rat Pack guys came in, and we discovered that we were sitting 4 feet from Dionne Warwick. She was just chillin'.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."