Author Topic: Marshall Tucker  (Read 1000 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall Tucker
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 09:50:01 AM »
"But there's another factor that's so obvious we miss it - concert halls are built for acoustics. Sports stadia are built to cram in people, not for acoustics."

So true. There is a huge hall in Cologne called the Lanxess Arena - the sound there is impeccable no matter what at you see, but it was constructed for large scale music events first and sports events only second.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 12:15:30 PM »
I think you may be right.  I would rather listen to Marshall Tucker than Bruce Springsteen.

I would rather listen to Sophie Tucker than Bruce Springsteen.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 09:41:16 PM »
I would rather listen to Sophie Tucker than Bruce Springsteen.

:mrgreen:

You win the internet for today.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 09:43:01 PM »
The ex and I went to three concerts at the Astrodome in the 70s: Rick Nelson, Charley Pride, Gatlin Brothers. The sound was abominable every time. The stadium just wasn't built for it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2023, 02:44:14 AM »
This is the only Sophie Tucker I've seen on You Tube.  I don't know anything about her, but she is preferable to Bruce Springsteen.  The duo call themselves Sofi Tukker and the singer's name actually is Sophie, although her real last name isn't Tucker or Tukker.  That song is in Portuguese, but they'e actually Americans.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 09:16:57 AM »
This is the only Sophie Tucker I've seen on You Tube.  I don't know anything about her, but she is preferable to Bruce Springsteen.  The duo call themselves Sofi Tukker and the singer's name actually is Sophie, although her real last name isn't Tucker or Tukker.  That song is in Portuguese, but they'e actually Americans.

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 11:49:03 AM »

Yes, I know.  I looked up the old Sophie Tucker and found her on Wikipedia, but not You Tube.  I still don't know much about her, though.  She was a comedian, and most likely I would have laughed at her jokes.  I don't know why I wasn't able to find her on You Tube.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2023, 11:11:58 PM »
Sophie Tucker was a singer first and foremost. That's how she became famous.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2023, 12:00:50 AM »
Sophie Tucker was a singer first and foremost. That's how she became famous.

I've studied other decades more mostly because of school.  But it's the 1920s that really gets my interest.  So if I see a video from a 1927 song, the chances are I'm going to pay special attention to it.  In my imagination I was hoping the 2020s would be a modern version of the Roaring 20s.  Needless to say, so far that hasn't been happening.  But I very much like that Roaring 20s attitude.  At least some of it was something real.  In my first band, the lead guitarist's grandfather would tell us some amazing stories of what he experienced as a youth.  It was stuff like I've never heard before, can't repeat here, and I'll probably never hear anything about something like that again.  But I think maybe the sudden prevalence of cars, new opportunities to travel, mingle and meet new people must have been like some kind of revolution in society.  A number of people in that time period seem to have really let loose and enjoyed themselves.  It's not surprising that "The Great Gatsby" is my favorite (fictional) book.  That's in spite of the fact that the book didn't end well.  But the 1920s didn't end well, either. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 12:11:29 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »
Sophie and Dave went to school together. One of his early crushes and it speaks for him that he hasn't forgotten her. Truly the gentleman with commendable manners.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 08:28:33 AM »
Sophie and Dave went to school together. One of his early crushes and it speaks for him that he hasn't forgotten her. Truly the gentleman with commendable manners.

....As per the classic definition of a gentleman: "A man with callused elbows?"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 08:48:18 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2023, 11:49:45 PM »

I would have been literally crushed by her.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2023, 04:21:41 PM »
According to the comments under the video, this is a young Barbara Stanwyck in the photo.  I usually associate her as older, like she was in "The Big Valley."  But she looks like an alluring flapper here.  I didn't pay careful attention to them, but it seems Sophie Tucker's lyrics are bawdy in this song.  But I did notice the line "I'm going to show him in the parlor, why a girl turns out the light."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 04:28:28 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal