Author Topic: Japan ...  (Read 8744 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Japan ...
« on: March 11, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
News is still pouring in, like a doomsday sci fi movie, people here have relatives and friends there, I hope they are alright and everyone in those regions waiting to be hit remains safe. Teaches you humility. No nanotechnology can stop this, nature can still teach us a lesson or two.

Amazing though that Japan gets hit by an 8.9 quake and actually survives. Imagine what this would have done to a Third World country.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chaser001

Re: Japan ...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:55:52 PM »
I have some friends over there that I lost touch with many years ago.  It would upset me greatly if I found out anything had happened to them.  I'm encouraged that the death toll isn't higher. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
I'm afraid the death toll may go much higher. The Sendai area is still a big city and 8.9 is huge.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »
My sister and her family are over there (Missawa AFB). Thankfully all of them are fine. She said they felt the quake and the aftershocks. House is a mess but everyone is fine. They had a smaller one last week too. Nothing compared to this one tho.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »
Amazing though that Japan gets hit by an 8.9 quake and actually survives. Imagine what this would have done to a Third World country.

No need to imagine, it happened on Boxing Day, 2004  .....  230,000 killed in 14 developing countries.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:22 AM »
At this point the death toll is strictly realitive to what they are able to report and they have priorities bigger than counting and reporting the bodies. I expect to hear some staggering numbers :sad:.
The aerial camera shots of all this little debris that looked like bits of gravel being washed away like someone was hosing down their driveway. Then you get a better look at what those little bits of gravel like debris actually are, stuff like houses , boats, ships, cars and trucks. I've never seen anything like it.
Rick

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:37:45 AM »
incredible on all counts.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
And now a cooling system explosion that apparently has collapsed the walls of a building surrounding a reactor.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »
Not to mention four trains are missing :o. Some pretty serious circumstances when you can lose four trains.
Rick

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
I heard from my cousin in Tokyo - she and her two brothers are safe - more importantly, her mom & dad (my aunt & uncle) who live in Iwate prefecture much closer to the epicenter are ok. Still waiting to hear about my father in law - he is on the coast of Hokkaido in a tsunami warning zone. Hokkaido doesn't seem to be in as bad shape as the area around Sendai, but I would still like to hear that he is safe...

Phone contact is sporadic - I heard a rumor that phone lines were shut down by the government for emergency use only, I just heard a report on NHK news that a lot of cell phone companies are still out of commission, but some people are managing to get in touch. I have a lot of friends in Japan or with family in Japan on facebook, and it's a relief when they check in with messages that they or their families are ok.

UPDATE: just heard this morning - my wife's family members in Hokkaido are ok!!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:12:00 AM by hieronymous »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
Good luck with the family Harry, one and all...

The Moon is closer to the earth than usual at present, which has not helped geological stability... The 2004 event was 9.3 iirc - seems like the strength of the event rises exponentially

Something that may be of interest...

Earthquakes are measured using the Richter Scale, which is a logarithmic scale ranging from 0-9. (Logarithmic means that with each increase of one on the Richter scale, there is a tenfold increase in energy.) The scale is as follows:

Less than 2.0 : Micro : Not felt.
2.0-2.9 : Minor : Not felt, but recorded.
3.0-3.9 : Minor : Felt, but rarely cuse damage.
4.0-4.9 : Light : Noticable shaking of items, damage unlikely.
5.0-5.9 : Moderate : Damage to poorly constructed buildings, unlikely damage to specially designed buildings.
6.0-6.9 : Strong : Destructive for up to 100 miles across populated areas.
7.0-7.9 : Major : Serious damage over large areas.
8.0-8.9 : Great : Serious damage over areas of several hundred miles.
9.0-9.9 : Great : Devastating damage in areas thousands of miles across.
10.0+   : Great : Yet to be recorded.

How many of you have seen geological strata planes at odds with our horizontal - most of my home Island is a slipped plate left over when Canada went on holiday, with the plane at about 70 degrees to the norm... Nature will have the last laugh on us all...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
This was horrible news  :sad:  Glad to hear that friends & family of you guys are so far safe and accounted for.  Thoughts are with you.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
Thoughts and prayers for your family and friends Harry.

Chaser001

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
I'm impressed with how stoically the Japanese are dealing with the earthquake. 

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
I remember when I moved to Japan in 1982 - I was 11 - the hotel we were staying at was something like 24 stories, and at the base, there were these big rubber sections so that the building would be flexible in an earthquake. I remember experiencing a couple of little ones while we were staying there, nothing like the one that just happened. But the Japanese nation has been preparing for earthquakes and tsunami like this for a long time - in fact, tsunami is a Japanese word...