Author Topic: NAMM-news  (Read 9144 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
NAMM-news
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:38:48 AM »
For the magazine I put some known and expected NAMM news together. Here it is in very short. Ofcourse next week we know more! :)

Aguilar makes the 1x12 in Blue Bossa

Bartolini's B-Axis is a passive split coil Jazz pickup, a bit like some Nordstrands and the new Seymour Duncan Apollo.

D'Addario will have the stronger, louder, longer lasting and more steady NYXL strings as bass strings.

Darkglass will make a complete amp!! With some on board Darkglass effects.

Digitech has a new bass fuzz.

Dunlop / MXR launches a Mini Cry Baby Bass Wah and flat wound strings in the Super Bright series.

EBS will have an updated, deluxe version of the Sheehan Drive

ESP has new basses with fanned frets.

The New American Elite Series will replace the American Deluxe Series basses.

The Fodera Monarch P has all the Fender style woods, a split P, it's passive and it has to sound as a good '60s P. It's passive but it has room in the cavity for a preamp.

Jerry Genzler is back with amps and Cabs. Genzler Amplification.

The Godin Dorchester bass is a bit Mosrite and a bit Rick guitar and it has P90 style bass pickups.

Hotone has a mini wah too, also usable als volume or expression pedal.

Phil Jones has mini bass monitor, which can be placed on a mike stand, a great looking amp head with all the controls on the upper side (it looks a bit like a very small mixing desk) and inputs for jack and XLR, and a small combo.

Sire has a limited edition with black blocks of the Marcus Miller Jazz and a Candy Apple Red-ish colour is available on all basses.

Taurus brings a DI with compressor, linked to the gain. And a Drive with extra lows.

Warwick has a lot of news. A Rex Brown Reverso, a Lee Sklar Star Bass with a 'Producer's Switch' with no use;)
A LTD 2016 Corvette, leather gigbags,
All German Warwick basses have no (v battery but an accu which can be charged with a standard phone charger and gives you 500 hours of playing time. The new electronics have more headrome and there's a passive tone control.
The German Star Bass can be ordered in 32" now.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NAMM-news
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »
The new Genzler amps have a substantial thread running on TB.  I love my Genz amp but I'm not planning on switching.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »
I wasn't aware until recently that Lee Sklar is now a Warwick player.

The Warwick rechargeable preamp is something new. Most of the rest sounds like more of the usual.

New and improved strings (yeah, right), yet another new J pickup, another 1x12, Fender changing a series name. Ho-hum.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
Yes, all  not very exciting yet, however the Darkglass amp could be a winner. I hope some more news will come up.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:47:05 PM »
Were Dimarzio stupidly ahead of the curve with the Model J or something? A split coil Jazz bass pickup really shouldn't make many ripples, right?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »
Were Dimarzio stupidly ahead of the curve with the Model J or something? A split coil Jazz bass pickup really shouldn't make many ripples, right?

No, it shouldn't. Plenty of them already out there. But there's always the pressure for each manufacturer to come up with something that they can sell to their dealer network as new or improved.

Take strings, for example. If you conducted blind listening tests, could people tell the difference between D'addario XLs and NYXLs? I doubt it. Now Chris says they will introduce "stronger, louder, longer lasting and more steady NYXL strings."  Yeah, sure. And if you believe that, I've got some swampland in the Sahara to sell you.  ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 11:18:03 AM »
I wasn't aware until recently that Lee Sklar is now a Warwick player.

It's his beard. It obstructs his lower view, so he doesn't really notice or mind.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:28:03 PM »
ONCE IN A WHILE.... black hardware looks good.  :P

http://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/michael-anthony-bass-detail

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
It's his beard. It obstructs his lower view, so he doesn't really notice or mind.

But his beard has other uses.  :)

From NAMM 2012

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 05:36:33 AM »
Michael Anthony is with Schecter now? I thought he was with Yamaha. Both are PJ basses with 3-way switches...  :bored:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
But his beard has other uses.  :)

From NAMM 2012

Obviously a really nice, down-to-earth person. How unsettling!  :)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:06 PM »
:D

I will post lots more news soon. Including a great Tech21 Fly Rig for bass (want it), new amps of DNA (David Nordschow, ex Eden), Hartke and Eden, a nice new long scale Danelectro, ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
Ernie Ball is making (very ugly) passive P and P/J basses now.  Desperate times?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 07:00:05 PM »
Ernie Ball is making (very ugly) passive P and P/J basses now.  Desperate times?

They've had plenty of experience in ugly. That Bongo thing... yeesh.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »

Interesting that you brought that up. Did you see what Sterling posted in a NAMM thread at the Ernie Ball forums? He said that their business used to be 90% basses, but now it's 75% guitars, and the Petrucci models alone account for 40% of their volume.

They've tried some new bass designs over the past few years and most of them (like the Big Al) just haven't sold well enough to keep in production. So they'll keep trying to find something appealing. Unfortunately I don't think the new P and P/J models will do it for them. Even if I liked the looks, the 7.5" radius would keep me from ever buying one.

Can't blame them for trying, though, and I wish them the best.