Author Topic: BUDDY MILES R I P  (Read 1271 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
BUDDY MILES R I P
« on: March 01, 2008, 05:34:17 AM »
Sad news. Buddy & Billy were touring last I heard with various axmen playin' Hendrix songs. Now Billy is the last survivor of the Band of Gypsys.

I got into Electric Flag a little late...after seeing The Buddy Miles Express headline at the Forum in L.A., I bought Long Time Comin'. Might have to look for that on cd--Mike Bloomfield in his prime & Buddy singin' a song or 3...."Overlovin' You" comes to mind.
The highlight of Buddy's Forum show was of course Them Changes....but it was too soon after Jimi's death & it was PAINFUL to not see Jimi playin' guitar. Still...Buddy looked coool--a HUGE man with a HUGE afro!

Unfortunately his HUGEness led to congestive heart failure. He was only 60.

Buddy was featured on Electric Ladyland some but it's mostly Mitch on drums. Billy got a photo or 2 among the little ones inside the double album cover.
Buddy's also featured on some of the tracks on Cry of Love--he shines on Ezy Ryder--& many jam session bits an' pieces that have been released over the years.
Jimi & Buddy were good friends....I guess they're jammin' somewhere again now!!
Master of the Fatback.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: BUDDY MILES R I P
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
A very talented guy who managed to come back after drug problems and that prison term.

Buddy had a stroke a few years ago and moved to Austin after that, I'm not sure why, but the obit story at austin360.com quoted his stepdaughter saying it was to have peace and harmony. He did a few local post-stroke gigs that got some publicity, at least around these parts.

Saying that his size caused the congestive heart failure is jumping to a conclusion. Could be, but we don't know his medical history, and neither do news reporters.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »
Right. Coulda been drug & alcohol related or just "natural causes"--from lugging that  BIG natural around. hahaa

Just bought The Cry of Love on ebay. I've got all the songs on it on other compilations, but it'll be cool to hear those songs in the order I first heard 'em.
Drifting & Straight Ahead are my 2 fav Hendrix songs!!

Just listened to Electric Ladyland thinking of Buddy. Rainy Day, Dream Away is him on drums, playin' his famous shuffle.
Now I'm puttin' on Band o' Gypsys....

HornetAMX

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »
He's jamming with Jimi and Noel right about now I'd imagine.  I'm putting on Band Of Gypsys as well!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:53:08 PM »
Yeah, Buddy had his demons.  I know a guy that used to manage him.  I didn't know he produced The California Raisins stuff, but did know that he was the model for the drummer.  He got a good deal of money for that, and his old manager told me where most of it went.

Dying peacefully at home is much better than so many other musicians have experienced on the way out.

Cry of Love is still my favorite Hendrix album - but I go with "EZ Rider" and "My Friend" as my favorites.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty