Author Topic: JAEbird V build  (Read 641 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
JAEbird V build
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »
...sorry not the flying kind.

I've been getting a lot of requests for one of these.  After talking with Steve and knowing Bazz uses 4 string width TBird pickups on multi string basses I decided to give that a try (if I hadn't built the proto yesterday, that Futura video would have convinced me to this AM).  The results were encouraging.  Soundwise it's pretty much the Fiver equivalent of the Futura IMO.

Here's the mockup.  I had everything lying around the shop; the neck, tuners and bridge for at least 3 years.  The body is one piece 1 3/4" inch thick poplar that a body supplier gave me as a sample of his work.  He got the job.

The V will have a similar bridge/tailpiece to the IV and Ultralites.  For the proto I borrowed the bridge from my GWB-1.  I widened the neck pocket and a few hours later plugged it in.

Now it's time to build a real one and see if it flies.  It will only be available with Thunderbuckers and cost about 20% more than a IV.  With a Honduras body it should weigh around 9.2 lbs.  Also shorter than a IV due to the headstock which is subject to change.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: JAEbird V build
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
I THINK I might need one of those! Really want a Gibson Studio 5, but who knows when one of those will pop up?

PM me whenever, no rush, thanks!